TODAYS CURRENCY RATES ON THE STREET

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
is there anyone here that can tell me the going rate at the exchange booths for both the U.S. and Canadian dollars ?
i was going to buy some pesos for an upciming trip but my bank is only giving about 15.39 for each Canadian dollar. sounds really low to me.
thanks in advance !!

My US bank told me 0.045xx yesterday, if I did the math right ( highly sus) I come up with 22 Peso to the US dollar.

16.59 pes to cad - Expect less

A good website for exchange rates is XE.com
Expect that whatever the exchange rate that they quote there will be a little better than what you will find at a bank or locally once the commission is taken.

There was a post a few weeks ago about using Xoom on the island to transfer cash directly from your bank account. We did it and it was SO EASY!! Works with Paypal you can get like up to $66,000 pesos for $3.99. You just decide where to pick it up at. We had our money in 15 mins. We got like 20.45 to One dollar.

The "street" rate is about 1 peso less than the active offical banking rate usually roughly..... plus minus.....

i was going to buy some pesos for an upciming trip but my bank is only giving about 15.39 for each Canadian dollar. sounds really low to me.
Nothing beats just using a bank card to withdraw Pesos at a Bank owned ATM, as long as you reject the initial conversion fees. Google is showing 16.59 Pesos to the CAD.

My US bank told me 0.045xx yesterday, if I did the math right ( highly sus) I come up with 22 Peso to the US dollar.
There is day & night difference between the CAD and the USD. Google is quoting 20.67 MXN to the USD at the moment.

16.59 pes to cad - Expect less
Yep. Banks are in business for a profit as are the exchanges.

There was a post a few weeks ago about using Xoom on the island to transfer cash directly from your bank account. We did it and it was SO EASY!! Works with Paypal you can get like up to $66,000 pesos for $3.99. You just decide where to pick it up at. We had our money in 15 mins. We got like 20.45 to One dollar.
I think the first time takes a while to go thru.

Nothing beats just using a bank card to withdraw Pesos at a Bank owned ATM

My problem with this is skimmers. They have become so sophisticated that they can be incredibly hard to spot nowadays. Here's a pretty famous video from 5 years ago showing one: Would you have noticed it? I wouldn't have. I'm sure they've only gotten better over time.

With protections on debit cards usually being much less than on credit cards, I just don't chance it. And it has nothing to do with Mexico. I try not to use it anywhere except my credit union lobby, if I can help it.

My problem with this is skimmers. They have become so sophisticated that they can be incredibly hard to spot nowadays. Here's a pretty famous video from 5 years ago showing one: Would you have noticed it? I wouldn't have. I'm sure they've only gotten better over time.

With protections on debit cards usually being much less than on credit cards, I just don't chance it. And it has nothing to do with Mexico. I try not to use it anywhere except my credit union lobby, if I can help it.

So how do you live?? You can't live in fear, you just need to protect yourself.

I used to keep multiple accounts available for travel, all offered fraud protection. You could easily move money from one account to another. You also need to not just assume the security but speak with someone on the phone and make sure your settings on alerts are correct....

It sucks but it's the world we live in.

So how do you live?? You can't live in fear, you just need to protect yourself.

I protect myself by not using my debit card. :) In the states I use credit cards for everything. Almost never have cash on me. When I go on a diving trip I carefully plan how much cash I'll need, and bring a buffer just in case. If a place takes credit cards without too ridiculous of a surcharge, I use that to conserve cash. I still have my debit card if I need more cash, but it's an absolute last resort.

I wouldn't call it living in fear, but I am probably more security conscious than most due to the nature of my work. And I've read too many stories about people getting told "too bad so sad" by their bank when somebody used their debit card to withdraw cash and they couldn't prove it wasn't them. It does happen. It's so easy to avoid, I just do.

I'm not mandating. Just educating! There are a lot of people out there that don't know how 'OEM' these skimmers can look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom