TODAYS CURRENCY RATES ON THE STREET

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That 14.70 just wrong, but I guess they think it's worth a try.

These places were on 30 - roughly between Las Seras and Dominos. So not 100% touristy, not 100% local either. I imagine the Canadian amount of money changed is much lower than dollars so they probably factor that in - that one is a stand alone all by itself money exchange place - they flex on the rules a bit so to say.

CI Banco is a "bank" of some sort and has many branches so I would expect them to be more inline with national numbers.

The "green" place was all closed and I couldn't see a exchange rate sign - they follow the rules, you need a card to exchange there after you have filled their paperwork out.

You have that reversed, don't you? That would mean that a Canadian dollar equates to US$1.25.
Yep, thanks, edited.

I am planning to Xoom money next month in Mexico and see how that goes. I loaded the app.

Do people just transfer/exchange funds via their phone, then pick the cash up?

I don’t log into my banking (sensitive info., PayPal Etc.) on hotel wifi.

I am planning to Xoom money next month in Mexico and see how that goes. I loaded the app.

Do people just transfer/exchange funds via their phone, then pick the cash up?

I don’t log into my banking (sensitive info., PayPal Etc.) on hotel wifi.
Xoom is Paypal

I just got back and what I did was to take $100 in small bills for tips and taxis on arrival, Then when I had a chance to stop in at Mega I used the center ATM machine (did not notice the bank name) because it had a choice for English on it. I withdrew 2,000 pesos and that took care of my trip. I bought a few souvenirs with my CC at one of the shops around the block from my hotel and that turned out fine.

small bills for tips and taxis
I tip in USDs as it can be difficult to break 500 Peso bills at times. On one trip 20 years ago I took some Susan B coins, but later I realized that those are the most difficult for them to exchange as the banks have to fly the currency back to the US.

For taxis, I always use Pesos as they give the worst exchange rates. I've had them quote 10:1 in recent years instead of 20:1.

It looks like most of the group use their Credit or Debit Card.
What should I look at if I just want to exchange USD (Cash) to Pesos?

It looks like most of the group use their Credit or Debit Card.
What should I look at if I just want to exchange USD (Cash) to Pesos?
There are exchange booths on the street where you can do that but they charge for their services. I have never patronized them so I do not know how much they charge.

Back
Top Bottom