Tobermory ON Aug 27-31, 2007 Come One Come All (2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Notso_Ken:
It was the Great Crash of 2007. Ber had to repost the thread.

Ken

Here's how much of a dork I am...I thought "Didn't that guy hit you in 2005 or 2006?" when you said "crash" :rofl3:
Ber :lilbunny:

Hi there,
Nice to see that you guys are coming up here...
I thought I had a long drive to Toby - 4 hours plus... :11:

I saw that you weren't planning any dives while you're at Flowerpot Island. We used to do shore dives from there, and it's kinda neat. You dive along the wall (dolomite, I think), and see the formations and some crayfish. There's no shipwrecks that I know of in that area. Where we usually went, the depth was under 100 feet, but it goes to somewhere around 400+ feet. It's very cold there even in the late summer - bottom temp around 38 - 40 F with thermoclines.

Drysuits or well-fitting full 2-piece 7 mm wetsuit with hood, gloves, and boots required. I like to wear neoprene socks as well to keep my feet warm, and they dry very quickly, unlike wool socks. Dress warmly between dives, even if it is hot out, so that you'll be comfy for your next dive.

Nice choices of dive sites. The Tugs are not impressive, but I understand that you need the initial shore dives to get your equipment/buoyancy squared away.
The Forest City is a dive even greater than the league of the Arabia. You can dive the Forest City to techy limits, but you can also see some of it if you dive only to 130 feet. The Arabia, Niagara II, and the King are my personal favourites in this area.

BTW, if you ever need another charter in the area, I also like Diver's Den at http://www.diversden.ca/ They're really nice and accomodating.

I didn't know if everyone's been here before or dove cold water, so please don't be offended if I gave too much info. Have a great time! :D

Ber Rabbit:
Here's how much of a dork I am...I thought "Didn't that guy hit you in 2005 or 2006?" when you said "crash" :rofl3:

It was 2006. And I hit him. But, you know what? My insurance went down after that!

Ken:coffee:

Ayisha:
Hi there,
I didn't know if everyone's been here before or dove cold water, so please don't be offended if I gave too much info. Have a great time! :D

Some of us have been there before, but not all, so the info you provided is great!

It's nice to see I'm not the only one to dive wet under those conditions!

Ken

Ayisha:
I like to wear neoprene socks as well to keep my feet warm, and they dry very quickly, unlike wool socks.

Where do you get your neoprene socks? I bought... microprene? I think? And I'm planning to bring several pairs or merino wool socks. I'd like to get neoprene socks if I can find them!

Thanks for the trip reports! I'm one of those "never been there" folks and I'm soaking up as much info as I can in anticipation!

Ayisha:
Hi there,
Hey now, no bragging about short drives :wink:

Ayisha:
I saw that you weren't planning any dives while you're at Flowerpot Island. We used to do shore dives from there, and it's kinda neat. You dive along the wall (dolomite, I think), and see the formations and some crayfish. There's no shipwrecks that I know of in that area. Where we usually went, the depth was under 100 feet, but it goes to somewhere around 400+ feet. It's very cold there even in the late summer - bottom temp around 38 - 40 F with thermoclines.
Hubby and I were actually planning the Flowerpot hiking trip instead of dives to allow for complete off-gassing before the deep dive on the Arabia the next morning.

Ayisha:
Nice choices of dive sites. The Tugs are not impressive, but I understand that you need the initial shore dives to get your equipment/buoyancy squared away.
We always do a dive on The Tugs as a warm-up, I love diving the site but then again I'm a :dork2: We do the Gilboa training day a week prior to get everything squared away before investing 12 hours in a drive. It also gives us a chance to compare computers and work out buddy communications. OK I admit it, we actually train for vacation :eyebrow:

Ayisha:
The Forest City is a dive even greater than the league of the Arabia. You can dive the Forest City to techy limits, but you can also see some of it if you dive only to 130 feet. The Arabia, Niagara II, and the King are my personal favourites in this area.
Hubby and I did the Forest City two years ago when we got blown off the Arabia. It's a nice wreck but I like the Arabia better. This will probably be our last trip up there and we wanted to get a bunch of pictures of the bow of the Arabia. We dive out of Wright State University and the man who started our scuba program, Dan Orr, is the one who took WSU divers out to put the plaque down by the wheel. The image of the diver on the plaque is from a picture Dan took of my husband many years ago.

Ayisha:
BTW, if you ever need another charter in the area, I also like Diver's Den at http://www.diversden.ca/ They're really nice and accomodating.

I like G&S because they have a huge boat, the Joseph Simon which has a deck in the back that lowers into the water so you don't have to climb any ladders :D Plus they will take the big boat out with only a couple of divers on it. The most divers we've ever seen on that boat is 4 and it can hold a max of 22.

Ayisha:

No offense taken, it's good information! Why not come up and join us, there's still time to get in on the trip :D

Some of us are actually cold-water junkies (prefering cold water to warm) but all of us have cold water experience.

trucker girl:
I'm trying to con scratchmyback into coming up for some of the trip...

That would be TOTALLY awesome! Best part about this trip is you don't have to go for all of it, it's "pay as you dive" and other divers will be coming and going as the week goes on. One couple is planning to stay and dive on Saturday as well.

A true :dork2: I don't organize tightly controlled trips :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom