To those who carry big knives, what are the reactions you normally get and yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Over in Malaysia, I get people staring whenever they notice that I have a diving knife strapped to my left lower leg and they pretend not to notice but I know that they steal glances every now and then. Sometimes I'm sure I'm not imagining that their voices go down a notch or they'd forgotten what it was that they were talking about before they noticed the knife. :D

Happened with both locals and tourists. Recently, a Caucasian lady was polite (or maybe daring enough :D) to ask what I carried the knife for and I said it was 'Just in case'. I also added that since I worked fulltime in animal protection / welfare, I definitely wasn't carrying a knife to go underwater to kill anything and the smiles came back onto everyone's faces. :)

How about the rest of you?

I don't hang around with diver that don't carry knives..... Don't do charter boats...... Let them " LEER ":rofl3: all they want from afar.....

Jim...

Well I don't carry a BIG knife but on the rare occasion I am asked why I carry one I tell the (non-diver) that it is to protect me from sharks and when they inquire further I tell them that I stab another diver to make them bleed and distract the sharks from me :)

To those who carry big knives, what are the reactions you normally get and yours?

Mostly, I don't get any reaction to my BFK. I don't have much of a reaction to how others set up their kit, unless something is particularly interesting, at which point I'll ask politely about what or how.

On the few occations I have been harrassed it's been by some indoctrinated newbie and I point out that said knife was diving before he was a gleam in his daddy's eye. At that point the conversation gets better or worse.

Bob
----------------------------------------
Always use the right tool for the job. A hammer is the right tool for any job. Anything can be used as a hammer.

Back in the late 60s when I moved to Catalina from the Midwest and switched from diving fresh water to salt, I bought the biggest, baddest Jim Bowie of a dive knife I could find to fend off the great whites. It must have worked because I never even saw one back then. In the late 80s I switched to a small knife (obviously more secure in my man hood by then) and later to a BCD knife and shears. I've seen more great whites since that switch, but never needed the knife. I use the shears to cut fishing lines... and my teeth to cut kelp (if necessary).

Over in Malaysia, I get people staring whenever they notice that I have a diving knife strapped to my left lower leg and they pretend not to notice but I know that they steal glances every now and then. Sometimes I'm sure I'm not imagining that their voices go down a notch or they'd forgotten what it was that they were talking about before they noticed the knife. :D

Happened with both locals and tourists. Recently, a Caucasian lady was polite (or maybe daring enough :D) to ask what I carried the knife for and I said it was 'Just in case'. I also added that since I worked fulltime in animal protection / welfare, I definitely wasn't carrying a knife to go underwater to kill anything and the smiles came back onto everyone's faces. :)

How about the rest of you?

If they say anything, I simply make reference to the HUGE thing that I keep strapped to my other thigh. If they persist, I MAY offer to display it.

I now carry a small BC knife and shears. However, as I was transitioning to that from the BFK on the calf, I had a small, funny "incident". There I was, with the calf mounted knife, while the boat crew had there small knives/shears/etc. They were all old friends/acquaintances, so there was a good bit of good-natured, friendly teasing (" whoa, Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, are you spearfishing with that thing" etc.)
However, as we left the first dive site, there was a strange sound/vibration from the propellers, and the boat captain shut the engine down. One of the DMs entered the water, came up saying "there is a length of old mooring line wrapped around the propeller shaft. We can unwrap it, but it would be much easier to cut through it..... does anybody have a big knife?......"
Of course, I volunteered my knife, with a comment ": oh do you mean a knife like my Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, spearfishing knife?"
What is it they say about payback????

My first thought when I see a big knife strapped to an ankle is: immature newbie. Went through that phase years ago and still have the huge pink knife in my scuba storage.

Small blunt-end knife on inflator hose + shears is what I use now.

Weird. That's what I think when I see divers with their snapped off steak knives.
$500 for BT's, $2000 for DS's, $1500 for canlights, $5000 for scooters... but $.50 for a steak knife is definitely NOT a decision based on soliciting a certain perception of belonging from others.

What I think about people carrying such knives is actually very dependent on location..
If you dive somewhere with no take and/or no touch rules - its just overkill (and often not allowed to carry anyways).
If you dive somewhere you CAN take fish or other critters, I can see the point. I might not be there primarilly to hunt, so not bothering with a spear/gun, but a 4lb flatfish still makes for a nice dinner if you happen to find one..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom