To those who carry big knives, what are the reactions you normally get and yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sometimes carry a BFK when I dive vintage. It just looks right when combined with an oval mask and a double hose reg. If anyone asks me I tell them it's to cut the exhaust hose on the bad guys regulator.

I even considered ordering one of those ridiculously big Pakistani Bowie knives once. I figured it might be worth the $20 price just to see the expression on peoples faces. Never did it, but I do have a couple of those Harbor Freight "survival knives" with 10" blades that they sell for $9 each and I have used them as dive knives. Considering what they are, they hold a surprisingly good edge, much better than the edge on my Wenoka.

What we want really is a khukri knife. THAT will turn heads..

I dive with 2 SP MKV regulators, fins I've had since the 80's and a USD Sea hawk dive knife. I have no idea which one is causing others to stare. :)

Contrary to what I'm sure you were taught in your open water class, dive knives are weapons, not tools. The larger your knife, the manlier you are. Nothing says that you are a 'Denison of the Deep' more than a large chunk of sharpened stainless steel strapped to your leg. You should be the one children run up to wide-eyed as you exit the water, asking if you just got done fighting a shark. I weep seeing divers looking like they just left a quilting party with their assorted shears, clippers and steak knives.

As divers advance deeper into technical training, I see a steady demise in the use and carrying of knifes. The tools of the tech diver tend to turn to trauma shears and z-knives instead of a big knife.

This leads me to think that having that really big knife strapped to you leg is nothing more than trying to compensate for other shortcomings.

As divers advance deeper into technical training, I see a steady demise in the use and carrying of knifes. The tools of the tech diver tend to turn to trauma shears and z-knives instead of a big knife.

This leads me to think that having that really big knife strapped to you leg is nothing more than trying to compensate for other shortcomings.

I'm trying to compensate for not carrying a pry bar and hammer. A BFK are not for cutting but for prying and hammering.

I'm trying to compensate for not carrying a pry bar and hammer. A BFK are not for cutting but for prying and hammering.
Or stabbing food, when and where you can legally do so

I don't really care if a diver carries a knife or not. I carry trauma shears which have done the job for me for 10 years. I did have to stifle my snickering when we went on a work-sponsored trip to Anegada (British Virgin Islands) and the big bad respiratory therapist had his BFK strapped to his leg while snorkeling in 12 feet of water.

Back
Top Bottom