To log pool "dives" or not to log...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am impressed with that one. Unless you do all shores dives you took yourself to, I can't imagine not producing one. Every time I have done a dive with some sort of charter (well, almost every one, my normal tooth finding charter never asked), I have needed to produce it on arrival when signing my forms. I also need to show it to even enter the property of my local quarry.

Standards vary outside of the US. Just returned from Cozumel, after a week of diving. No one in my group of six was asked for a cert card, although three of us had dove with the same dive op in January (but the other three hadn't.) Maybe we just looked the part, like we knew what we were doing (and we did) and they just went with it.

Standards vary outside of the US. Just returned from Cozumel, after a week of diving. No one in my group of six was asked for a cert card, although three of us had dove with the same dive op in January (but the other three hadn't.) Maybe we just looked the part, like we knew what we were doing (and we did) and they just went with it.
The most important card in the dive industry is the credit card.

Only "pool dive" I ever logged was a dive in the Epcot tank. But I dont really log dives for the "number", I log dives for later reference, what I saw, conditions, etc. Its fun to look back 10, 20, 40 years and remember dives I did, the more specific the log, the more that comes back to me. Epcot was cool, for a one time deal, so I logged it.

As opposed to my pool dives I did every weekend for 2 months between my Cave 1 provision until I went back. Did not log those.

I have been to places (one particular Live Aboard for example) where on the first night as a part of the "routine admin", they ask to see your applicable C-Cards and to to take a quick peek at your log book. So to answer your question, yes, I have been asked if someone could look at my logbook.
What happens if you don’t log your dives?

What happens if you don’t log your dives?
To be honest, I don't know. My dives were logged, so it wasn't an issue for me. If I were to guess, then they would probably keep a close eye on you until they made some sort of an assessment as to your skill as a diver. I got the impression that they checked the logbook and your "highest certification" more to "get a feel" for the baseline skill level of the guests as a group and how long it has been since their last dive more than anything else. (The group I tend to travel with is made up primarily of divers ranging from DM to Course Director, so when they see our group, they are generally pretty comfortable with us.)

FWIW, I have been on this LOB several times and probably 25% of my dives have been with them, so for me, it is more "Welcome back Hoag, let's have a fun week." than an examination of my qualifications.

Is anyone ever asked to show his/her log book? I have been diving since 1986 (certified in 1987), and I have never been asked. I haven't written a log book entry in several decades, not since the late 1990's, IIRC. I suppose if I ever need a recent log book entry in order to be permitted to dive some particular place or other, I will simply grab a pencil and an old, neglected log book the night before, and "recollect" something.

rx7diver
Last I checked you have to show your log book in order to dive in Malpelo.

I have been to places (one particular Live Aboard for example) where on the first night as a part of the "routine admin", they ask to see your applicable C-Cards and to to take a quick peek at your log book. So to answer your question, yes, I have been asked if someone could look at my logbook.
What is their position if you tell them you don’t keep a log book?
*Edit - I just saw this question has already been asked.

I am impressed with that one. Unless you do all shores dives you took yourself to, I can't imagine not producing one. Every time I have done a dive with some sort of charter (well, almost every one, my normal tooth finding charter never asked), I have needed to produce it on arrival when signing my forms. I also need to show it to even enter the property of my local quarry.
I had to think really hard to see if I could remember when the last time I was asked for a C-Card, and honest to God, it was back in the 70's in San Diego when I went to New England Diver's Supply in La Jolla for a tank fill. I have even switched Agencies a few times! (NASDS/PADI/SDI/TDI). I do not do charters though. My past 10-15 years of diving venues have been all warm/tropical waters (intentionally), in places like Grand Cayman, Hawaii, Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, etc. For logged dives, even for the required Cert levels where you must have "XXX Logged Dives" I have never been asked to provide a log book or spreadsheet of dives (e.g. Shearwater). Of course, if I was asked, I do have all the C-cards and logs anyone would care to see.

Maybe it is because I am a grumpy old guy with a mean scowl!

The most important card in the dive industry is the credit card.
Truer words....
C-card: Being asked for it seems the norm for me, unless I show up with gear that includes 100CF steel tanks and a big pony.
More: I can't remember ever being asked for a log book. The past few years I've tended to not bother to log dives; I print up a dive log with whatever dives are needed to meet the operation's requirements. e.g. "Must have at least one open water dive in last six months." The 'log' will show that I do. This is for for shallow dives though, <60'. For a, say, 150' scallop or wreck dive in the N. Atlantic I'll either be really current or hire an instructor for the first dive or two to help scrape the rust off my skills.
EPCOT: I do log these just for nostalgia (15 so far between getting a free EPCOT admission to sip Ketel 1 before dinner then dinner @ Teppan Edo or The Coral Reef).
But wait, there's more: The scariest diving is with an assigned buddy - sometimes. I was once asked by a guy in GCM to accompany him on a shore dive. His communications were clear and precise & skills good. Turns out he was an F-15 driver. Another guy in GCM on a 30' boat dive would dart back to the boat in a near panic as soon as he hit the bottom (twice). I told the DM (a sawed off runt named Brad with an attitude) to find another babysitter. Generally, though, buddying with a newby is pleasant. I enjoy making them feel comfortable, gain confidence and showing them neat stuff.
/s/ Another grumpy old man with a mean scowl. LOL

Truer words....
C-card: Being asked for it seems the norm for me, unless I show up with gear that includes 100CF steel tanks and a big pony.
More: I can't remember ever being asked for a log book. The past few years I've tended to not bother to log dives; I print up a dive log with whatever dives are needed to meet the operation's requirements. e.g. "Must have at least one open water dive in last six months." The 'log' will show that I do. This is for for shallow dives though, <60'. For a, say, 150' scallop or wreck dive in the N. Atlantic I'll either be really current or hire an instructor for the first dive or two to help scrape the rust off my skills.
EPCOT: I do log these just for nostalgia (15 so far between getting a free EPCOT admission to sip Ketel 1 before dinner then dinner @ Teppan Edo or The Coral Reef).
But wait, there's more: The scariest diving is with an assigned buddy - sometimes. I was once asked by a guy in GCM to accompany him on a shore dive. His communications were clear and precise & skills good. Turns out he was an F-15 driver. Another guy in GCM on a 30' boat dive would dart back to the boat in a near panic as soon as he hit the bottom (twice). I told the DM (a sawed off runt named Brad with an attitude) to find another babysitter. Generally, though, buddying with a newby is pleasant. I enjoy making them feel comfortable, gain confidence and showing them neat stuff.
/s/ Another grumpy old man with a mean scowl. LOL
That's why I hired a private guide when I was in Belize. Most of my diving is local, so to not have to deal with hoovers and bad divers, I felt it was worth the extra expense. On the last day of diving, I took my wife and daughter with me. I skipped 2 of the 3 dives to have my wife snorkel while one of us watched our daughter, so I didn't hire a guide. I was horrified by what I saw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom