To log pool "dives" or not to log...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over the years, I have seen many people log their pool dives. The benefits of such I am not sure of. I for one never did, but it really is a matter of choice. The idea of different log books for pool versus other dives is a good one and could be handy in the future.

Dennis--

Personally, I have a binder log book with empty pages so I will probably fill in a blank page and write down anything I learned/did because I am still new and learning. I won't number it or count it toward my bottom time though. I only go diving about once a year (been in grad school so no money) so for me, it's important to have a record of the last time I practiced skills and if I am learning on new equipment. This way, I have a record, but it's not really "logged".

Jen

I don't log any pool dives. I see nothing wrong recording the results of any pool checkouts ie. weight issues, testing new gear, etc. in a general way just not as a logged dive.

Jim

A pool dive is to get back in the water and test kit & try new kit out. It a waste of paper.

Hello, as a complete newbie, who has just started IANTD OWND training, I have found this therad searching for the %subj% question.

So far, we have had seven pool lesson, one hour each, with approx 30 to 45 minutes bottom time. The pool is 4,5 meters (15 ft) in depth, learning all the basic stuff (neutral buoyancy, mask on/off, SMB deploy, air sharing, slow ascending, safety stops etc.).

As open water here in Czech Rep. is quite cold, I have also tried 7 mm wetsuit and 5 mm gloves (and more weight) just to be ready for the upcoming open water lessons and for the certification.

Do you think I should log these #1 to #7 pool dives? Thank you!

(...Well, honestly, I already did :), taking detailed notes about the equipment used and things learned.)

Do you log your pool "dives" when checking new gear or tweaking setup?
I have a computer just for pool dives! I log them all but keep it separated from actual OW dives. Its nice being able to look back and see what I need for x equipment and how it preformed.

I dove with someone a number of years ago who claimed to have 600 or so dives. He was a nice guy, an OK diver, but not as confident as I would have thought for that number of dives. At one point, when we were talking about dive travel, he admitted somewhat sheepishly that a significant number of those dives were collecting golf balls!

I dove with someone a number of years ago who claimed to have 600 or so dives. He was a nice guy, an OK diver, but not as confident as I would have thought for that number of dives. At one point, when we were talking about dive travel, he admitted somewhat sheepishly that a significant number of those dives were collecting golf balls!
I guess it depends what you consider a actual dive. I know a person who has done over 1000 dives and a good 900 of them are in the homestead crater. Dose that make them less then say a lake or sea dive? On top of that I know a few divers who game the system and did 20min dives at 20 feet with 15min surface times so they can hit dive requirements.

(...Well, honestly, I already did :), taking detailed notes about the equipment used and things learned.)
I personally would log those dives but not "count" them. When I ask someone how many dives they have done, I'm expecting the number to represent dives in an open water environment, not a pool. If I'm asking, it's probably relevant to whether I will agree to be their buddy, what kind of dive I will plan for us, or what kind of dive site I might suggest to them, so it's best not to give me an artificially inflated number. But I log my dives in great detail, and I sometimes even log things that aren't really dives by my own definition, like pool sessions, aquarium dives, training sessions on surf entries using only skin diving equipment, aborted dives, etc., because sometimes there's still some info I might want to refer back to later. I just don't assign those entries a number.

Hello, as a complete newbie, who has just started IANTD OWND training, I have found this therad searching for the %subj% question.

So far, we have had seven pool lesson, one hour each, with approx 30 to 45 minutes bottom time. The pool is 4,5 meters (15 ft) in depth, learning all the basic stuff (neutral buoyancy, mask on/off, SMB deploy, air sharing, slow ascending, safety stops etc.).

As open water here in Czech Rep. is quite cold, I have also tried 7 mm wetsuit and 5 mm gloves (and more weight) just to be ready for the upcoming open water lessons and for the certification.

You can log them but don't count them as dives. If you go out on a dive boat and tell a dive partner itll be your 8th dive when its actually your first dive not in a pool that could be odd if you forget things. Well 8 dives is still brand new anyway but I think all here will say that a pool is not a dive, its training for dives.

Also your first 4 open water dives to get certified are considered by agencies as your first dives so there is that also.

Back
Top Bottom