to knife or not to knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As much as it pains me to disagree with you, H2Andy, the process of starfish regeneration from relatively small sections is no myth. It's true. If you've ever seen a "comet" starfish, what you are really seeing is the regeneration of a new tiny body with initially smaller arms extending from a severed full sized arm. When Crown of Thorns Starfish were blanketing and killing some coral reefs in the Pacific, various alternative methods, including injecting formaldehyde, had to be developed. Cutting them into pieces was ludicrously counterproductive. Ultimately, the most effective and inexpensive method was to dump them into a net bag, and remove them from the ocean. The proliferation of these animals is a symptom of something problematic in the ecosystem.

To the best of my knowledge, Agilis has it right.

Random thought.
Gotta wonder what subscribers from other nations must think when they see American males turn a thread about cutting tools into a discussion about fire arms.
Anyway. Back on the subject. I like my Colt M-1911 in 45 ACP. Design is proven, dependable and lots of accessories are available. Even though I own some of the so called "wonder" auto loading pistols manufactured by Sig Sauer, Glock, Beretta and Walther, if I could only keep one pistol, it would be the 1911.
Wait a second. Was that the topic?

Get a big heavy knife, if it weighs a couple of pounds can you take some lead off?

LM(___)o(___)O

FN P90 please.

You need one in each hand, much better ballance<G>.

Splitlip, I think you are right on. Many critics from other nations are just hypocrites. It's mostly the Brits and their former serfs and deportees who complain. In some European nations it's fairly easy to purchase handguns, if you qualify. In Switzerland it's much easier to legally purchase a handgun than it is here in N.J. Anyway, back to the main topic. Knives or other line cutters are essential to diving safety. They are vital tools.

I prefer my 1911 to other large bore pistols I've used. I especially like the clean lines of an original pre-1911A1 design. I have one manufactured in 1913. A thing of surpassing beauty, mechanically as smooth as glass, almost supernaturally accurate, and never a single problem in the many hundreds of rounds I've fired through it. It's retired now, because its value has gotten too high. When I was in the military I was issued a Parkerized reworked 1911A1, WW2 vintage. It was just as marvelous, but Uncle wanted it back after I was done with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom