to knife or not to knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agilis:
RI Coder, its .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol), not USP, which has to do with chemical and drug purity level.

nope ... the USP series is made by H&K in a bunch of calibers, including the HK USP .45 ACP (the model is the HK USP, the caliber is .45 ACP)

Darned scubaboard nit pickers! :) I should have been more specific...but both Dragon and H2Andy are correct, it is a .45 H&K USP...and if you want to know what happens when they shoot underwater there is an episode of Myth Busters where they try it out.

Back on topic, I strap one of these to my leg... :D

I got a hooked in the chest wearing a wet suit once and the dive knife let me quickly cut the line. I probably could have just pulled the hook out and ripped my suit, though. Felt bad for the fisherman, it looked like he had some fancy lures. Then again, he must have seen our float. Our DM gave him a good tongue lashing on the surface.

Knife has been helpful in mild current to plant in the sand and hold tight when watching schools of fish swim. Also, works as a tank banger.

H2Andy, it appears that H&K have a model they designate the USP. It comes in several calibers. I didn't know that, since I pay little attention to modern handguns.
Still, it's a bit confusing to say ".45 USP", since there is no such caliber. I suppose it should be called an H&K USP model chambered in.45 ACP. There are several .45 caliber cartridges besides the ACP. The Long Colt, the .455 series, etc. The letters or numbers that immediately follow the caliber, or diameter of the projectile, usually identify the kind of round, not the kind of weapon firing it. 9x19, 9mm parabellum, 9mm Kurtz; 9mm Long, 9X57; 7.65, 7.7, .30-06, .30 Carbine; etc, etc. The few times a cartridge is identified by the weapon which uses it is an informality, and generlly limited to cartridges fired only by that one weapon. There is a clear protocol: manufacturer, model, caliber. You don't mix them up if you are trying to be understood.

45USP must be an analysis of malt liquor.

Are we foregoing dive knives now and carrying automatic pistols underwater? If so, this will seriously improve my spearfishing abilities.

I wear a knife cause it makes me feel like a pirate. YARRR!

(even wear it when I'm not diving. Then it makes me feel like crocodile dundee!) :)

On my last dive to San Carlos Mexico I learned of another good reason for carrying a knife: My dive buddy (who is also my instructor, just not on this dive) and I came across a crown of thorns starfish. He pulled out his Crocodile Dundee special and hacked the snot out of that thing and shredded it to bits. COT's are making their way to the Sea of Cortez.

I think Dave Barry said it best:
"All my life I've wanted an excuse to wear a knife, and here I have found a sport where it is actually encouraged. "Diving knives are practical tools,' states the PADI course manual, "providing you with a means to measure, pry, dig, cut, and pound under water." But the REAL advantage, which the manual fails to note, is that you can wear your knife strapped to your leg.."

There's also the benefit of seeing the eye roll of dive store clerks when you request to see their largest knife. :D

Seriously though, you don't take them for the times you don't use them.

I say we should take his point one step further. The reason guys dive is because it's a sport where they can walk (swim) around looking like a human swiss army knife. Basically a gearhead's fantasy come true. :scubadive :arcadefre :)

H2Andy:
nope ... the USP series is made by H&K in a bunch of calibers, including the HK USP .45 ACP (the model is the HK USP, the caliber is .45 ACP)
It is indeed. I have one sitting in a case about 10 feet away. GREAT gun.

Back
Top Bottom