To kill or not to kill lionfish in the Caribbean and Florida?

Should lionfish be killed by scuba divers?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That video got my attention but then I don't think they're big enough to do much to a person. :)

Not big enough to eat a human but could decimate the reef fish population.

Not big enough to eat a human but could decimate the reef fish population.
Like anything else in nature the predators can't exist without prey to eat. I'm pretty sure where those worms live (Bali and the rest of Indonesia, Philippines etc) have plenty of fish even with those worms and many other predators living right among them. I've never seen a hobbit worm but I have been where they live and there are more fish there than many of the other places I've been diving. I wouldn't worry about a few predatory worms.

My point was that if they were co-opted to help deal with the Lionfish problem, they would be another introduced species with no natural predator that could prey on natives. I guess it didn’t come off that way.

Do you use a spear thrusted or thrown by hand-power? Or with the spear having an elastic sling, i.e. like an elastic-powered speargun but with the user's forearm serving as the body of the speargun?

How easy is it for the cook to disarm and gut and clean the lionfish without needing an armored glove?

Do you use a spear thrusted or thrown by hand-power? Or with the spear having an elastic sling, i.e. like an elastic-powered speargun but with the user's forearm serving as the body of the speargun?

How easy is it for the cook to disarm and gut and clean the lionfish without needing an armored glove?

Ours are slings. Neritic Lionfish Eliminator. Once the venomous fins are snipped off with scissors, you can prep and eat them like any other fish. Very tasty too.

Short rubber band powered three prong spear, and contraption called a "zoo keeper" for hands free removal and storage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom