To gaiter or not, that is the....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I did my first drysuit dive yesterday in my Pinnacle EVO2 drysuit. Everything went very well, except my feet were a little floaty, not too bad, but I was only in 20ft. of water. I know that could be a bigger problem in deeper water on an ascent.

To those of you who dive with attached boots like I have on my Pinnacle EVO2, do you use gaiters at least starting out and how does that effect the squeeze at depth on your lower legs and feet with less air reaching that area.

Are the benefits of not having floaty feet and a possible lost fin and a possible inversion really realized with using gaiters?

Thanks!

I use a TLS 350. I used to dive with gaiters to help keep air out of my feet, but gave them up for Trident Fin Keepers:

AC_RP57-DPS-1.jpg

Note that these go around the boots, not around the fins (i.e. are put on the boots before inserting into the fins). Spring straps on your fins will also help restrict gas flow into the feet.

I am not familiar with the EVO2, but based on pictures, it appears to have molded rubber boots, so those options may not work that well for you. One thing you can try in that case is negatively buoyant fins (like Scubapro JetFins).

The main thing is to make sure that you are not putting too much gas in the suit, take it slow on your ascents (to give the suit time to vent), and make sure that you maintain good horizontal body position to avoid an air bubble accidentally expanding into a shallower part of the suit. I would try working on all of those before I would invest in a pair of gaiters - with some practice you may find that you don't need them after all.

I was thinking of ankle weights and have heard some good reports on those for drysuit divers. That way it would let air into that area of the suit to be comfortable and warm with no or little floaty feet.
And also putting new stainless steel straps on my fins that would constantly have tension on them so I wouldn't lose a fin from my boots expanding from the air. I have a pair of L-XL Tusa Zooms that I use that had the regular rubber straps. Foot pocket is big enough for the boot.
I recently bought a pair of Apollo Bio-Fins. The best fins I've owned for comfort and speed in my non-drysuit diving. The foot pocket isn't quite big enough for the size 11 boot on the drysuit. They make a bigger size, but I am trying to cut back on costs, I sunk a wad of cash into getting the drysuit.

I use the Trident Triangles shown above. They firm the fit up just enough to keep my heel from rocking in the boot. They also make the boot more expansion resistant.

On my right leg I strap my knife. To keep the air migration equal I wear an extra knife strap on my left left, like an arm garter.

For diving dry I use a DUI W&T harness and wear it with the weight below the hips. That seems to really help me keep my legs where I want them.

Pete

Last edited:
I have personally tried all the things mentioned above - ankle weights, knife straps, gaiters, and finally fin keepers paired with spring straps. With practice and getting comfortable with the drysuit, I eventually gave up all of them except the fin keepers and spring straps (and of course the JetFins, which are just as negatively buoyant as many ankle weights). Most of the stuff the LDS will try and sell you to make this "easier", is absolutely unnecessary - working on developing your skill and comfort will cost you nothing but time, which has the additional advantage of making you a better diver as a result. That is a far better approach (IMO) than spending money on some type of "silver bullet" that you don't really need anyway.

For whatever that is worth ...

I am tall and lanky, don't use Jets or ankle weights or gaitors, never have, and thus "should be" most at risk for floaty leg issues.

It's all pretty much technique.

All the best, James

I did my first drysuit dive yesterday in my Pinnacle EVO2 drysuit. Everything went very well, except my feet were a little floaty, not too bad, but I was only in 20ft. of water. I know that could be a bigger problem in deeper water on an ascent.

Considering that this was your FIRST drysuit dive, I think you did quite well. Floaty feet is quite common at first, but with time and practice, it will not be an issue anymore. I learned to dive a drysuit with ankle weights and told how it was not possible to dive dry without them. Eventually, as my comfort with my suit increased, I noticed how the ankle weights were more getting in the way than helping me.

I no longer use them, nor do I believe they are necessary on the more experienced diver. They may be good training wheels at first, but you will eventually lose them.

I do not know what you were instructed, but I found that trying to use the drysuit for buoyancy accentuated the problem at first. It was only when I started using my BC for buoyancy and only putting enough air in my suit to offset compression, that I felt in more control.

Happy and Safe diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom