To fin or not to fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all...

I have always done the walk through the surf, deflate to the bottom and put fins on where no mere mortal can see your pratfalls. I am severly "tight" when it comes to bending my knees, hips and waist. I can not sit cross legged, and I can never put my fins on standing and crossing one leg up. I try to get the fin on the ocean floor, step into it and then try like heck to reach the straps... That is UNTIl I got the Spring straps for my Twin Jets. WHOOOOAAAAAAAAA what a difference. I grab the fin by the strap, kick my foot backwards, slip the foot into the pocket, and slip the spring around. Now I even look like I know what I am doing when I pun on my fins. I love my spring straps!!!

:tease:

Agree with the "it depends" comments. If waves are less than 3 feet and bottom slopes off gradually -- wade in with fins off.

If surf is big or I am not sure about how quickly the bottom drops off -- fins on.

Mermaid:

We're neighbors. On this coast, you wade in with fins on and shuffling backward to where you get into "crotch" deep water then you swim, crawl, hug the bottom until you are beyond the surge and wave line. Sand or Rock entry.

Mermaid:

I had a digital input "fart" before I completed my previous message.

The most important thing you have to do is study the beach.
Look for channels, points where the waves are "knocked down", even "rip" zones. Rip zones get you out faster and smoother. Of course, look for a landmark that is aligned to the rip zone so that you can mark it when you come back in and can avoid it.

Be clear that rips can move, especially on sandy beaches. they can also move on rocky beaches when tides change.

On this coast, beach diving requires more preparation than is normally considered. Depending on the beach, you need to consider tide tables, surf forcasts, and posted warnings (i.e Bio conditios) before you out on the first pirce of rubber.

On this Coast, going out for a beach dive on any "ole" day dosen't work.

Hey Mermaid,

I live a little more to the north - up here is is customary to pick up your gear - fins and mask and head into the waterface first so you can look for he rocks you would otherwise trip over - here it seems unlikely that anyone would ever walk backwards with fins on... Although I have to admit that I have seen it - with mixed results...

Big T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom