To fin or not to fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpmermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sor here is my question...sort of a technique survey. When doing a beach dive, do you enter the water:

a) backwards, fins on, or

b) facing the waves, fins in hand, ready to put them on after you get through the surf zone?

To provide the first response, I was taught to do the latter. I have tried the former once, with unpleasant results.

I am curious to see what other people do, and what they were taught...

Depends on conditions, but none of the above. If there's no surf, I'll back in holding my fins and put them on when I need to start swimming. If surf is moderate, I'll back in, but watch oncoming waves, turning sideways as they break into me. When it's deep enough to swim, I'll drop to the bottom, put on my fins and swim out. If there's rough surf, I'll usually abort the dive, but it is possible to dive if you absolutely have to by crawling through the surf zone. It's rarely a good idea to walk facing the waves.

And with your reg in your mouth. This way if you get knocked over by the surf, you won't try to swallow the ocean.

The reason to have the fins on is that they give you greater control if you are knocked off of your feet. To see what I mean, think of this as you remove your fins to climb back onto the dock (or boat) and notice how drastic the difference in control.

I was taught to do A, fins on and walk back into the surf with reg in mouth. Yes I have been tumbled and was greatfull for the reg. also don't forget to dump all the air in your bc nothing worse then floating on top and getting pounded by the surf and unable to get underneath it all.

I was told to walk in holding fins, when the water was deep enough drop and put fins on.

then leaving the water remove fins in water allows for quicker more graceful exits

I was taught by my first instructor to carry fins into the water and when deep enough, put the on facing the waves, but have the buddy - ie. my instructor, to hold me steady so I dont fall!! And I had to do the same for him.

And like Fishkiller, when getting out, take them off prior to exit....however, with a big tank strapped to my back...i could never describe my exit at "graceful!"

Then I use to have to take a jog back to the dive centre which was probably about 250 metres off the beach and down the road....not fun with bare feet, hot tarmac and the dive gear on - i can promise you of that!!!

Depends on where you are diving. If the beach is a "real" beach with a nice sandy bottom and waves crashing on the shore then fins on walking backwards would probably work.

Here..we usually have a nice long hike across coral (mostly dead) and rocks..with BIG holes in the middle. The waves actually break over the reef, which can be 50 yards off shore. Trying to walk in fins backwards, forwards, or on your hands is NOT a good idea (tried it...ONCE!).

I did my first beach dive since last Christmas this past weekend. Forgot the part about turning when the waves are breaking right before you...and NEVER stop in the surf zone! I did. Oops. Now I remember why I prefer diving off the boat! But, the dive was wonderful!!

Practice and know both. Conditions would dictate. However I was taught to enter chest deep and use buddy to stabilize while putting on fins.

Butch :peace:

Kelpmermaid,

Some interesting responses to your query. As many have implied, there's no ONE way for ALL situations. A lot depends on the bottom composition and surf conditions.

In general, I'd suggest you enter the water with your mask in place, fins in hand, and breathing through your regulator. While keeping your eye on incoming waves, shuffle backwards or sideways through the waves until the water is deep enough to sink beneath the surface, slip on your fins and swim out. I'd also recommend having gloves on in case you have to bottom crawl. Turn sideways or have your back face an incoming/breaking wave to avoid being knocked over.

It's much easier to walk/shuffle without fins if the bottom is uneven or shifting. However, if the bottom is relatively smooth and firm, you can put fins on at water's edge, and then do your best crab imitation to swimming depth.

Granted, if the water is deep enough to swim and you are knocked over, you'll have better control with your fins already on. However, until you reach a swimming depth you are walking/shuffling and this is done much easier without fins.

Finally, having a buddy to lean on can be helpful as well.

Good luck, and enjoy...Warren

Back
Top Bottom