to bring or not to bring weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own enough lead in Mexico for 4 divers. Lots of 1 and 2 lb. We have carried it down over several years. Dive boats think we are weird, but it is nice to know that our weighting is exactly how we want it. But we always take it in checked bags. For some reason our checked bags always weigh 50 lbs.

Oddly enough, they were solid weights that they took - we would have understood that the pellets could be considered potential shrapnel. Didn't make sense - still doesn't. But then, I still don't understand why TSA took my allen wrenches in Cozumel either. I keep imagining me climbing all over the aircraft, armed only with a specific size allen wrench, taking everything apart like freakin' MacGuyver! But there's no way to predict what TSA will like or not like. o_O
Did you carry them or checked in?

I usually bring 2 1lb wts, and never need them. but I have loaned them out :wink:

I usually bring 2 1lb wts, and never need them. but I have loaned them out :wink:

I used to bring two 1-lb. weights, too. (For the OP or anyone else who's not familiar with weights from dive operators, 2 lbs /1kg is usually the minimum size they stock.) With an Al 80 tank, steel backplate, and 3/2 mm wetsuit, I only needed about 2 lbs. to get properly weighted. However, I was so indoctrinated from the school of "proper weighting" and precise horizontal trim that I couldn't bear the thought of allowing myself to be even a couple of pounds overweighted or have weights placed sub-optimally for trim. I'm a more chill diver on tropical trips than I used to be, and an extra couple of pounds (placed wherever) doesn't faze me.

For the OP... FWIW I've travelled with my Outlaw. Never had a problem getting uncoated hard weights into the removable pockets. I've used 5rs without issue. Typically use 14lbs total with my full 3mm suit and an AL80. Leave the weights at home. As a few above have stated I also travel with a few 1s... two for my pockets and one for a trim weight for my camera rig as no operator/boat I've ever used has 1lb weights available.

Keep in mind anything at or more (if you add tank band trim pockets) than the max spec of 20lb ditchable and, with a full AL80 or bigger tank. it's not going to float on it's own. This is a problem if you go to float your rig or have to take it off in the water for some reason.

The only time I use it for cold water is when I'm diving above the thermocline in my kilt (or less) for fun. Heck, with the smaller wing it won't float an HP100 with no weight at all.

Did you carry them or checked in?

I had my allen wrenches in carry-on (and R had an allen wrench in carry-on that they didn't see). Just goes to show how very intimidating I am in person! John Cena's got nothing on me!

Tangent comment: the overweight fee on luggage on international flights is often a lot more than just checking another bag, so you want to confirm you are either underweight or check the rules to decide whether you should buy another bag. Not sure about other flights but a flight back from Indonesia had an overweight fee of ~$250.

@Kimela you did not realize that the little lock on the cockpit door takes a 4mm allen wrench? :)

I'm also surprised by TSA logic that a little bag of BBs (soft weights) is more of a weapon than a 5 lb block of metal.

Tangent comment: the overweight fee on luggage on international flights is often a lot more than just checking another bag, so you want to confirm you are either underweight or check the rules to decide whether you should buy another bag. Not sure about other flights but a flight back from Indonesia had an overweight fee of ~$250.

@Kimela you did not realize that the little lock on the cockpit door takes a 4mm allen wrench? :)

I'm also surprised by TSA logic that a little bag of BBs (soft weights) is more of a weapon than a 5 lb block of metal.

I did NOT realize the little lock on the cockpit door takes a 4mm allen wrench!! LOL! Hoping you're pulling my leg (and I'm just gullible enough to fall for it!). Seriously though, it's quite challenging to figure out what will go through TSA from one day/airport to the next. I thought we weren't allowed to bring nail clippers, but I guess that one's ok now?

I seriously considered trying to do a Rick Steve's trip to Europe and the read the size bag those folks carry. Ever since then I challenge every item that goes into my bags. This last trip I got through two weeks with just the amount of toothpaste that fit into a contact lens case! (My sensitive toothpaste doesn't come in a travel size). Packing as light as possible has become a game for me now!

hello all! me and a few friends have all recently started diving and are about to go on our first real dive trip in which we will be bringing our own gear and we didnt know if it was a normal thing to bring our weights.....
Where are you traveling to? While most dive ops in the Caribbean will include both tanks and weights in the price of a charter, many U.S. dive ops will not include either -- and some will charge crazy amounts ($1/pound/day is the most extreme I've seen) to rent weights. When in doubt, I'd check the dive ops website and perhaps confirm in an email.

Back
Top Bottom