to bring or not to bring weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aqualung outlaw

web site says you can put 20in the weight pockets and 10 in the trim pockets. did you not get the weight pockets ? it is optional. i hope you have the 25lb lift model.

Why can't you put hard weight in the BCD pockets? Lead weights don't have sharp corners, especially dive op weights. And you can certainly put one hard weight on the tank band.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and you don't have trim pockets and everything goes on a weight belt now.

web site says you can put 20in the weight pockets and 10 in the trim pockets. did you not get the weight pockets ? it is optional. i hope you have the 25lb lift model.
i have the weight pockets but they are too narrow for hard weights tried fitting some in it before and got scared id tear the pocket mine doesn't have a clip for the trim pockets not that i have seen at least ill have to grab it and take a look and yes i did get the 25lb lift was worried it wasn't going to be enough as i use 32lbs to sink up here in the cold lakes

Why can't you put hard weight in the BCD pockets? Lead weights don't have sharp corners, especially dive op weights. And you can certainly put one hard weight on the tank band.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and you don't have trim pockets and everything goes on a weight belt now.
the pockets are too narrow for hard weights and i could only put one weight on one side of the tank and id like to be a bit more balanced still new diver and don't feel like spinning around too much quite yet hahah

i have the weight pockets but they are too narrow for hard weights tried fitting some in it before and got scared id tear the pocket mine doesn't have a clip for the trim pockets not that i have seen at least ill have to grab it and take a look
This is odd. Hard weights take up much less volume than the equivalent soft weight. Were the hard weights you were looking at rubber or plastic coated? It's very likely that the dive op weights will be uncoated and will slide right in.

This is odd. Hard weights take up much less volume than the equivalent soft weight. Were the hard weights you were looking at rubber or plastic coated? It's very likely that the dive op weights will be uncoated and will slide right in.
oh really thats good to know i think the ones i tried to fit were coated and yeah they just didnt want to fit but i guess i will give them a try thanks!

oh really thats good to know i think the ones i tried to fit were coated and yeah they just didnt want to fit but i guess i will give them a try thanks!

The coating adds more bulk that you'd think. Husband and I are on the volunteer dive team at the Oklahoma Aquarium. We dive on hookah there with weight belts rather than on scuba with BCDs or harnesses. Most of their weights are the coated type and they are quite difficult to get into their supplied weight belts. (They have the kind with pockets.) The uncoated weights slide right in where the coated weights either don't go in at all or are a struggle to get in and out.

ETA: We've traveled to various places for diving and I haven't come across the coated weights anywhere so far.

Since most people travel to warm water to go diving, where a 3mm suit would be likely. If that is the travel you are considering, 20+ lbs would be a lot. Even for a 5mm suit, it would be quite a bit. I'm not suggesting we examine your weighting, I'm just saying that if you are a novice diver going warm water diving for the first time, 20+ would be a lot for the suits you would use. And given your location is shown as Montana, I would think a T-shirt would be hot for you in warm water given what you are acclimitized to. :)

I always bring five or six pounds to achieve neutral buoyancy while snorkeling. Otherwise, I use the dive operator's weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom