tizip problems at docking end?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I'm nervous. If my Santi does the same it'll be replaced with a metal zip assuming that's possible.

---------- Post added July 8th, 2015 at 07:29 PM ----------

I wonder how indicative these reports are in relation to the number of TiZips in service.

I will get a new zip under warranty again. Aftersales of Santi is really good. But I want to stay dry longer than 6-12 months due to a failing zip.
A lot of people don't have problems with tizip, but my experience is still that a brass zip is more durable. The brasszip I had longest was on a suit I did 400 dives with and then sold the suit. The brass zip looked like new.
There are people with same issues as I have with tizip too. I hope that a 3rd zip will hold for years like you can expect from a new zip.

I will get a new zip under warranty again. Aftersales of Santi is really good. But I want to stay dry longer than 6-12 months due to a failing zip.
A lot of people don't have problems with tizip, but my experience is still that a brass zip is more durable. The brasszip I had longest was on a suit I did 400 dives with and then sold the suit. The brass zip looked like new.
There are people with same issues as I have with tizip too. I hope that a 3rd zip will hold for years like you can expect from a new zip.

Yes, given the price of the suit you'd certainly expect a run time in terms of some years and not months. Here's hoping third times a charm, good luck.

The rubber material on which the teeth are positioned are crumbling apart leaving the cloth material underneath. It would seem that there are two issues with the zippers, one is durability and the other is longevity. I usually dry my suits out between dives, so I don't think that bacteria is a factor at least in my case.

Myself and another person I know of had the same exact issue with their tizip. I am sort of hoping it was just a bad batch of zippers but I've heard from sources that many other people have experienced the same issue. Up until this point I've really liked my tizp but starting to question the durability of them now.

I've got two suits, one is an older USIA Techniflex that I had retrofitted with a Tizip about 2.5 years ago from DRIS when my brass zipper wore out. No issues at all with this zipper and plenty of dives on it. This is my backup suit.

My primary drysuit is a DUI FLX Extreme. A lovely suit that fits perfect. Unfortunately at less than 8 months old, the tizip fabric started cracking and de-laminating. I sent it back to DUI for warranty repair.

I certainly expect to get more than 8 months out of a zipper.

Here are some pictures of my suit.

Here are some pictures of my friend's suit

Last edited:
I don't know whats going on with Ti-Zip

My 2nd zipper just started cracking by the teeth after only about 8 months.
DRIS replaced the first one at no cost -- very cool of them.

So its going back and getting a metal zipper this time.

My other suit has a Ti-Zip but I think its an older one and something changed since then with the construction.
Both suits are cared for the same -- so its either the suit stress just doesn't work for a Ti-Zip (it came from factory with a metal zipper) or the construction of the newer Ti-Zips are bad.

Now that I decided to change my zipper to a TiZip these stories are coming out...

On my metallic zipper, the problem was also the rubber-coated band where the teeth are that started wearing out in several places, leaving the fabric exposed and leaking. It was also fraying in one area... The metallic teeth were perfect. And I didn't get near the 400 dives some people are talking about!

It appears that TiZip can also have problems, not with the teeth themselves, but with the wider band that holds them? I wonder if they're placing more effort into making watertight and reliable teeth and forgetting the rest... And it may have to do with the cut of the suit and how the zipper bends.

Also, the guy at the shop I sent my suit to said that how the zippers are stored matters. He doesn't like the way the national importer keeps them, so he imports them directly. Maybe some shops are not storing them properly?

Yes, given the price of the suit you'd certainly expect a run time in terms of some years and not months. Here's hoping third times a charm, good luck.
I get a metall zip now, the tizip was not in stock. No JBJ or Chinese brand, but the wellknown BDM.

TiZip and miflex are solutions to problems that don't exist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom