Titanium Reg systems? Are they worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your standard diaphragm first stage won't last as long as an Atomic Ti first stage between servicing, not even close. The design and the material, Ti, give this huge advantage of the Atomic Ti regulator over the other types. (I am talking about heavily used Atomic Ti vs. heavily used other type/brand regulator. key word here is "heavily").
I'd like to add my +1 here...

The piston and seat in the Ti Atomic are rated by the manufacturer for 300 dives (2 yrs/200 dives in brass). It's the only 1st stage rated to that many dives as far as I am aware. The second stage has the seat saver, which is also crucial to achieving 3 years for the entire reg. Dirt can make the 1st stage piston creep a little, but it'll keep working within specs.

Regardless, diaphragm regs have taken the market by storm. Their typical servicing interval of 100 dives or 2 years is no slouch, and within that interval they are of course safe and reliable. They aren't exactly cheap though, and I rather have a used Ti piston reg.

Even tho my preference is diaphragms, I’d +1 as well
I heard on the grapevine there is a sealed mk10 that made it through almost ten years without servicing, locks up perfectly (till very recently)
Now I love some Pistons a lot; but that’s a feature of them being sealed not being Pistons
I hear also someone pulled a 30 YO mk2 on a tank from depth at sea and it still also locked up

I digress, preferences peeps, to each their own, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that “deep” sh*t

Funny we never addressed the SP Ti except for a single post; anyone can amswer OP there?

(Now going fully out of scope)
@BoltSnap have you gotten a chance to try out the gps on your HUD? I still haven’t gotten to try it on mine
Also, what mask do you use for it? The frameless always get it out of range or dead center, kinda hate it
Have a nice dive tomorrow (on your non Ti reg — like a commoner 😛)

Titanium has two clear disadvantages compared to chromed brass. It is unsafe to use with mixes above 50% O2. It is more expensive.
Yes indeed; but.. do you put your high performance fancy regs on deco bottles?
Expensive sure, but their place is on a “travel/bottom/main” gas; I wouldn’t put my mk19 on a deco bottle, it’s unfair to the reg and kinda wasteful like driving a corvette only in traffic

The fanciest reg I’ll put on a deco bottle is an mk10 — well it’s fancy in its own rite but still 🤷🏽‍♀️
advantages
It also doesn’t marr as easy as brass, but that’s a cosmetic thing mainly

—-
I think to be “fair” in rating Ti regs we have to simplify/separate some variables

Sealed pistons / Ti as an alloy; we are mixing them into our arguments (both sides), and that’s not fair because (counter)assumptions are made by each “camp”
:popcorn:
I also gotta go sleep, this was fun, but I gotta entertain my daughter all day tomorrow

I keep trying to talk a certain person into one of these of Titanium but so far all I get is a thousand or more little bitty holes and some sort of stainless steel support rings, what the heck :poke:. It was so freaking ugly I had to shoot it with Metallic Graphite and then overshoot with 2K gloss clear:

I am getting older and soon I will need to hire a porter to tote my gear, yeah, every ounce counts. Better yet, I may just sit by the pool and wait on happy hour and hire some youg'un to go dive for me and let me know all about it over some more beverages, or not. Especially if all they saw was some sort of escargot, had enough of snails, I prefer sharks trying to eat me, stupid snails:stirpot:.

Solution seeks problem. Can provide a nice storage place. Will take you out once in a while to admire you before putting you back in that dark storage place, far from harm, nice and cozy. You'll get lots of rest. Please send pictures.

(Sorry. Don't know what got into me. Back into my den now.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom