Titanium Reg systems? Are they worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This makes them worth it to me and to others even at retail prices. I had 2 T1 (I think they were upgraded at some point but I don't remember to what) I got circa 1998'ish. They were lost during the chaos in Libya and war in 2014. No other regulator in the history of regulators since cave man were as reliable, service free and simply beautiful bar none. I used them all over the world extensively. I lost them simply because I left the bag with these regulators in a location that was the scene of a fight where the attackers looted all homes and warehouses in the area before they were defeated and pushed back, the ones that weren't killed in the fight. I doubt that they knew what they stole.

The "Toyo Auto" sour grapes crowed will never understand or appreciate their value. Ti regulators aren't for everyone and they were never intended to become mass market regulators just like Bentleys and other very high end brands. Some folks are satisfied with China imitation crap and others prefer European or US bands and the exclusive group prefers Bentley, etc.

For many of you here who say that Ti regulators "aren't worth it," you most likely mean that you can't afford it and hence you see no need for it yourself but it is grossly misleading and judgemental to attack those that want them and are willing to pay for them. You can't afford them, too bad and no one is going to look down at you but for you to say what you are saying is shameful and very rude.
I’d say they are marked up really high for their true value, diving gear is already such an exclusive club — when I talk to a non diver about a sidemount set and how much money that’s worth (be that in Germany or Egypt, financial restricted or not) they look at me like I’m made of money, now mention rebreathers and things get wierd quickly

Ti is a fancy ass metal (well alloy is what they use) but it doesn’t cost THAT much; there’s definitely an admission fee; just like when you’d reach out to Ferrari or Rolex telling them I want one; they casually laugh you off and tell you „go try your luck at a used one them we’ll consider selling a mew one to you“

Now reg companies don’t do that, you got the cash you own it, but they mark up the price intensely and it’s very offputting tbh

It’s not like it’s hand made (even a hand made 109/150/156 never has cost that much, and they got rare/vintage status);
Ore price and the higher machining bits requirement shouldn’t offset them that much from Brass or Stainless

Amd for what it’s worth the g260s are the tits (well not the only nor the definitive Tits, but they are great), like figs

But some day hopefully I will also ride a Bentley, probably a ised once since it can survive well 😉

This makes them worth it to me and to others even at retail prices. I had 2 T1 (I think they were upgraded at some point but I don't remember to what) I got circa 1998'ish. They were lost during the chaos in Libya and war in 2014. No other regulator in the history of regulators since cave man were as reliable, service free and simply beautiful bar none. I used them all over the world extensively. I lost them simply because I left the bag with these regulators in a location that was the scene of a fight where the attackers looted all homes and warehouses in the area before they were defeated and pushed back, the ones that weren't killed in the fight. I doubt that they knew what they stole.

The "Toyo Auto" sour grapes crowed will never understand or appreciate their value. Ti regulators aren't for everyone and they were never intended to become mass market regulators just like Bentleys and other very high end brands. Some folks are satisfied with China imitation crap and others prefer European or US bands and the exclusive group prefers Bentley, etc.

For many of you here who say that Ti regulators "aren't worth it," you most likely mean that you can't afford it and hence you see no need for it yourself but it is grossly misleading and judgemental to attack those that want them and are willing to pay for them. You can't afford them, too bad and no one is going to look down at you but for you to say what you are saying is shameful and very rude.
I agree that if someone keeps diving for decades, then buying a titanium reg like Atomic at retail is definetely not wasted money. You get great value and something made to last. But I have to acknowledge that there are cheaper ways to get in the water...

Ti is a fancy ass metal (well alloy is what they use) but it doesn’t cost THAT much; there’s definitely an admission fee; just like when you’d reach out to Ferrari or Rolex telling them I want one; they casually laugh you off and tell you „go try your luck at a used one them we’ll consider selling a mew one to you“
Good points, and I should add that I bought a block of the very same alloy as Atomic uses, and convinced a machinist to make some custom parts for me. They HATE working with titanium though! It ruins their tools and takes more time. I think that is part of the cost. But in the end you are right, companies need a spectrum of products, and titanium will be their marked up high end niche.

Good points, and I should add that I bought a block of the very same alloy as Atomic uses, and convinced a machinist to make some custom parts for me. They HATE working with titanium though! It ruins their tools and takes more time. I think that is part of the cost. But in the end you are right, companies need a spectrum of products, and titanium will be their marked up high end niche.
Oh it’s a nightmare to machine, makes sense financially for a manufacturer to have specialized tools for it; a tool shop… better for them to say no

Bentley’s are a poor man’s Rolls Royce.

Lol, I thought that Rolls Royce was for the older stiffs where Bentley's were for the middle aged ones. For me, Bentley looks so much nicer than a Rolls Royce 😁

Who gives a f..k about brands? Tell us why you think a Ti reg is so much better than an identical reg in chromed brass.

You keep talking about Bentley and Toyota. Yes I'd rather be driven around in Bentley than a Toyota. But it's not because of the brand name, there are actual reasons. For example, carpets in the Toyota are 3mm-6mm thick and made of cheap synthetics while you can get Bentley carpets of 25mm of lambswool.

Titanium has exactly 1 clear advantage over chromed brass when you are talking about regulators. It is less susceptible to surface corrosion and scratches.

Titanium has two possible advantages depending on your taste and situation. It can be colored. And it is lighter by about a pound (half kilo). That might be an advantage when flying/carrying it to a dive site, but makes no difference once kitted up as you will have to offset the weight difference by adding lead ballast.

Titanium has two clear disadvantages compared to chromed brass. It is unsafe to use with mixes above 50% O2. It is more expensive.

You have stated it is more reliable. How? The only situation I can think of is for a piston first stage that is so negligently maintained that the walls of the ambient chamber are pitted enough that the piston o-rings can't provide a consistent seal. But that won't happen with normal care. Or the use of a diaphragm first stage.

I'd say if you rinse your reg religiously, and take great care of it, then a brass reg may last a very long time. I'll have to discount those who show me their shiny-as-new 30 year old Mk5/109 regs with a total of 50 dives though. That's one extreme. The other extreme is some instructor in the Caribbean putting 300 dives a year on a Ti reg that does not get rinsed. It'll last as long as a well cared for brass reg despite the abuse. That's my conclusion from buying second hand regs and servicing them. I fell in love with titanium while servicing those regs.

But... If a brass reg does the job for someone, is the titanium advantage really tangible? I think that is where our group here is diverging in opinions. For some it's worth the reduced hassle and worry, while others have never run into noteworthy issues with their brass regs and wonder why on earth they should pay up. It's not a necessity at all, but I love this material.

Who gives a f..k about brands? Tell us why you think a Ti reg is so much better than an identical reg in chromed brass.

I believe that I have pointed that out for you earlier. You need to slow down, read and understand what was said.

You don't "care" about brands? REALLY?

You keep talking about Bentley and Toyota. Yes I'd rather be driven around in Bentley than a Toyota.

I didn't talk about "Toyota," what I actually said was:
Between a Bentley and a "ToyoAuto," I'd rather own a Bentley
("ToyoAuto" is Chinese knockoff the Japanese Toyota lol. I see them around third world countries.)

Titanium has exactly 1 clear advantage over chromed brass when you are talking about regulators. It is less susceptible to surface corrosion and scratches.

And that's one hell of an advantage. Add to that the Atomic seat saver function in the second stage, you got one heck of a reliable system. The two T1's I mentioned earlier were only serviced once but that's when they were upgraded not because they had to be service. Their reliability is just awesome; Mares, etc. don't even compare.

Titanium has two possible advantages depending on your taste and situation. It can be colored. And it is lighter by about a pound (half kilo). That might be an advantage when flying/carrying it to a dive site, but makes no difference once kitted up as you will have to offset the weight difference by adding lead ballast.
This is icing on the cake.

Titanium has two clear disadvantages compared to chromed brass. It is unsafe to use with mixes above 50% O2
This isn't a disadvantage as much as it isn't made for use with >40% O2 just like a Bentley sedan isn't made for off-road driving.

You have stated it is more reliable. How? The only situation I can think of is for a piston first stage that is so negligently maintained that the walls of the ambient chamber are pitted enough that the piston o-rings can't provide a consistent seal. But that won't happen with normal care. Or the use of a diaphragm first stage.
Your standard diaphragm first stage won't last as long as an Atomic Ti first stage between servicing, not even close. The design and the material, Ti, give this huge advantage of the Atomic Ti regulator over the other types. (I am talking about heavily used Atomic Ti vs. heavily used other type/brand regulator. key word here is "heavily").

I am going diving early tomorrow and I have to go to bed now. I will be taking my camera and diving with my Atomic B1 regulator and my newly acquired Scubapro HUD dive computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom