Titanium Reg systems? Are they worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grtday

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Specifically ScubaPro 600ti and EV-25ti.
HUGE $$$. Are they worth it?
Yes or no and why please.

Short answer, no. Longer answer, titanium regs might be worth it to a very small niche of people who need to cut any extra ounce of weight and aren't able to easily clean their reg. But for most people the extra price is not nearly worth it. On top of that, there are some cases where titanium is a disadvantage (freezing up in very cold water, not good with high O2 concentrations).

No.
Short answer, no. Longer answer, titanium regs might be worth it to a very small niche of people who need to cut any extra ounce of weight and aren't able to easily clean their reg. But for most people the extra price is not nearly worth it. On top of that, there are some cases where titanium is a disadvantage (freezing up in very cold water, not good with high O2 concentrations).
Good summary, but longer answer is still no.

This combo saves you 1 pound over the non-Ti MK25/S600. If travel weight is that vital, then spend a fraction of the price difference to get a lighter suitcase or carbon fiber backplate or linen shirts or something. Or just pay for a checked bag.

Titanium's corrosion resistance is just a cosmetics advantage, it doesn't provide any greater reliability. It's not surface corrosion that is going to cause problems if you refuse to rinse your regs properly after use. If you really want to ignore your regs then you'll have better luck with a non-turret diaphragm first stage.

Coincidentally, I saw a similar post on a FB group I'm on. The overwhelming responses were that it wasn't worth the cost.

In theory, Titanium may offer an advantage due to corrosion resistance and light weight. Practically, though that advantage disappears. The weight during a dive would likely be unnoticed and the travel weight thing was addressed well above. From a corrosion resistance perspective, it just doesn't work out to be a huge issue provided the regs are properly maintained. All my regs are brass. The oldest primary set is used by my daughter. It's over 20 years old and corrosion hasn't been a problem. The tech that services them has commented more than once that they are quite clean.

For the price difference, get 2 or 3 brass regulators. Should last for a lifetime and then some.

Yes.... cause you can make them pretty.
20240806_174055.jpg
20220428_195642.jpg
20220406_144617.jpg

Yes.... cause you can make them pretty.
Anodized AL aesthetic? Not my thing, but I heard the '80s are back. Pair them with a neon wetsuit and you are set :)

Seriously, these look like something out of a 1980's BMX bike accessory catalog or the back pages of an early issue of Sport Compact Car.

Ti regs exist to sell their non ti versions... the sales line is "I understand that $2785 is a lot for a regulator. How would you like one that performs EXACTLY the same, is a few ounces heavier, and only costs $1092?"

It is also for the people that walk into dive shops and want the most expensive stuff because it is the best (because it is the most expensive).

No.

Good summary, but longer answer is still no.

This combo saves you 1 pound over the non-Ti MK25/S600. If travel weight is that vital, then spend a fraction of the price difference to get a lighter suitcase or carbon fiber backplate or linen shirts or something. Or just pay for a checked bag.

Titanium's corrosion resistance is just a cosmetics advantage, it doesn't provide any greater reliability. It's not surface corrosion that is going to cause problems if you refuse to rinse your regs properly after use. If you really want to ignore your regs then you'll have better luck with a non-turret diaphragm first stage.
If the reg set is not going to be maintained, not only corrosion is the problem but also salt deposits and debris will cause damage to o-rings and seals.
Titanium is not the answer for a non maintenance. Rent gear to the dive operator if the diver is not willing to maintain it's gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom