Tips on the boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue I have with tipping is so many people are pushy about it. I do tip when I dive as I know we divemasters don't make much anyway but I really hate the try and make people feel guilty approach.

The general guideline for tipping in any industry is 10 percent if service was great, 15 if exceptional and I believe 20 if it was outstanding.

Me personally I take tips when given but I never bring it up because I got in to this knowing it was for the love of diving and I enjoy seeing people become more skilled in their diving. I enjoy watching people learn and to me that's thank you enough.

Where i am at a DM does not get paid for work just tips. I always to $10 a tank. If they are rude that is another story. I di live in a tourist town so tips are everywhere.

In Mexico I tip with Peso's 100 per tank. I'm Canadian so that's $8.50 in my money. Most of the time I don't notice others tipping.

Couple points

-I have been on many a NC boat where the crew did not dive. Well they do a bounce dive to set and unset the anchor from the wreck/ledge. Sometimes they stay up on deck the whole time helping divers. They also help lug gear from shore to boat and back. Last Saturday our 2-3 ft waves turned into 2-4 with some 5's. Walking back and forth from bench to the dive platform on a pitching boat was a lot easier with somebody steadying your tank. They pass my camera up and back. So I do not have to take it in or out. When the boat is bouncing I prefer to leave the fins on for being able to move quickly when needed. At top of the fins on ladder they unclip my fins to that it is easier to walk on a moving deck. The captain announces that they work for tips. I always tip them personally. They are much appreciated.

Not saying that sometimes one does not do a short spearfishing hunt but there is always one on the boat. They are often not in the water guiding unless paid extra or if they are instructing.

I have always given 15-25% and more to any individual that went above and beyond for me.

Wonderin' how you figure out which % you give???---------I can think of several reasons why you may want to vary the rate....

As a deck hand I get paid per trip which is two dives. I do it because I enjoy being out on the water, I am a diver and can dive when not working, and I learn a lot about diving from the divers onboard, both good and bad. Also I am working towards my captains papers. As for tipping, the tipping is a great bonus, some people tip a lot, some people tip nothing, I don't let that affect how I work. I will help you with your gear your tanks, etc, and as a diver I am watching for anything you may have missed in your set up, such as forgetting to connect a dry suit line, air not on, weights not in etc. I try and keep an eye on my divers, and I want them to be safe and enjoy the dive. I also try and provide important information regarding the dive sites, as well I can provide my personal experience as I have dove all the sites that we put divers on. I am also there for your safety, if something happens, I will get you back on board, even if that means jumping in and pulling you back to the boat, first aid etc. Tips are always greatly appreciated as I a say, but if I don't get one it will not change how I treat you next time. We all have financial constraints, and this hobby is expensive.

Every time we have a thread like this pop up, I've noted that it seems skewed to North American diving. I believe it's important to note that we need to also take into consideration the country and culture in which we are diving. Recently, in another country, I tipped as if I were in the US. Certainly the crew was happy. It was pointed out to me later that I'd tipped the equivalent of one month's pay or more. On top of that, I gave my good polarized sunglasses to the captain since he'd taken to wearing them while I was down. He loved that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom