Tips needed from Trinidad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReinhardtS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there,
We had a big trip planned that has (due to covid) fallen apart, and are now looking for a last-minute option for diving "near" Trinidad.

We will be flying in and out of Trinidad, and want to travel to 1 or 2 other islands for diving (and some nature and rum). I'm looking at Barbados, Grenada, Guadeloupe.

Any suggestions or experiences? Where we go from Trinidad will very much depend on what diving we can do.

Thanks in advance!

On on. Why not Tobago? Two years ago, I had booked with Tobago Dive Experience, but canceled with them. They are at the northern end of the island, Speyside, where the odds of seeing sharks, mantas and that sort of larger marine life are said to be higher than at the southern, Crown Point, end. I suppose it depends what kind of diving interests you. I have not been to any of the islands you mentioned. They do not get mentioned a lot on ScubaBoard. The closest I have been to T&T are Bonaire and Curacao.

On on. Why not Tobago? Two years ago, I had booked with Tobago Dive Experience, but canceled with them. They are at the northern end of the island, Speyside, where the odds of seeing sharks, mantas and that sort of larger marine life are said to be higher than at the southern, Crown Point, end. I suppose it depends what kind of diving interests you. I have not been to any of the islands you mentioned. They do not get mentioned a lot on ScubaBoard. The closest I have been to T&T are Bonaire and Curacao.
OnOn indeed!
We considered Tobago, but from what I read on FB all the dive places were fully booked. Heard you might be heading out on your own. Happy to team up if you're interested (and willing to with much less experienced divers).

Tobago is however certainly an option. We're interested in any diving. As you know, quite novice, so everything still interests us :D

Tobago is known for drift diving and some pretty strong currents, so if you’re newish that might be something to consider there.

Grenada is a pretty interesting island to explore above water. We only did a couple dives there, at the end of a liveaboard trip so we didn’t dive with any local ops. We’ve always heard good things about Aquanauts at True Blue resort where we stayed for a few days. Thought diving was just ok, don’t remember great viz. One dive we did was the BiancaC, a famous dive there. It didn’t excite me personally but I’m not a huge wreck fan, and there wasn’t a lot of time on it as its a fairly deep one. Bunch of other wrecks too.

So far we’ve only passed through the airport in Barbados. There are a few reports of diving there if you search on the board, but not a lot. Another famous deep wreck there the Stav, and more wrecks.

Visited Guadeloupe in the early 2000s, when we still just snorkelled. It was pretty good in that respect, and so long as you speak some French and can deal with their diving norms, I would recommend it. Topside offers fantastic exploration — the two main islands are very different but both reward hiking.
As I recall none of the lodging or restaurants were cheap.

I'm intrigued on Barbados as I'm there for a week starting this Friday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom