Tips for solo doffing front-entry drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't able to get that going with the front-zip suit, and ended up reaching under the wrist seal on the low-zipper side to pull it off over my right hand, which enabled my right shoulder to get free.

I'd rather not work that seal that way routinely, can anyone give me some tips on other tactics for getting that first shoulder out of the suit?

What's wrong with doing it that way? I don't think it's a problem. That's how I always get mine off. I have 2 diagonal front zip suits (a Bare and a Waterproof). No problems so far. You ARE taking it off your head first, right?

I don't usually even bother with talc and mine seem to slip right on without talc or too much effort. For removal, I just slip my finger under the seal, ultimately getting 3 fingers under it, and work it off my hand.

If I did want a lube to help them come off, I'd use the bottle of baby shampoo/water mix that I always have with me for anti-fog in my mask and suit lube (if I'm diving wet). I doubt baby shampoo would cause a problem with latex or silicon.

I tore a silicon wrist seal doing just that. I know the latex are sturdier, but if a choice were available I figured sliding it off in reverse all at once would be less strain than pulling on it piecemeal.

I'm switching from back-zip to diagonal front-zip drysuit, a Pinnacle Black Ice, with the objective of being able to don and doff the suit without any assistance.

I dive a back zip and I dive solo - not sure what the problem is? I use this to zip and unzip...

I thread the loop around a car door handle and over the wooden block. Then thread the wooden block through my zipper loop and slowly pull the zipper open or closed. Works for me - if you pull to fast you can jam the zipper - go slow and it seems to work. Been doing this since I owned my drysuit.

solo zip.jpeg

I've tried such things with my back zip a couple of times - though I'm sure it could me made to work - but it's a disadvantage not being able to see and access the zipper directly, esp as it's pretty stiff even with lube. While I very much like my 7mm ONeill drysuit, I'm going to give the compressed Black Ice a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom