• $16-20

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • More than $20

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Need to explain (please post)

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrinkles wrote...
Please do not come anywhere near my work place...
Teachers get tips?

:confused:

If you have a good rationale why I should either pay for optional services I don't use or pay twice for the same service, I'd like to hear it.

raviepoo wrote...
What liveaboard oprators recommend that amount? (10$ per day)

I've seen it on California liveaboards.

Then there's Australia, where significant tipping is rare. I don't recall anyone tipping on either of two liveaboards there.

alanconstant once bubbled...
This is a good discussion.
I regard 10% for a two-tank trip the base, but have always tipped more b/c the DM's have been knowledgeable and helpful. That comes out to $15-20 for the two of us.
If I might piggyback...
How (not how much), do you tip for a five day package? We are going to Cozumel--should we tip each day, at the end, or both (eg. 10-15% each day and 5% on the last day)?

Thanks,

Alan
I would talk to the shop and verify if the DM "team" will be the same for all five days. If so, tip after the first day and again at the end. The reason to tip on the first day is so they know you are going to tip.

If the crew will vary, I would tip them daily.

Truth Aquatics supposedly mentions somewhere on their website that $10/day is about the right tip....

My son told me he found that text when he was looking at the website in advance of our Channel Isl. trip next weekend.

Last year in Bonaire my group pooled our tips. I gave $50 for the weeks diving, plus I went to a couple of the dive masters and tipped them individually. Some of the others did the same. I appreciate a job well done. On two tank dives my standard is $10, but for crews who treat me like they appreciate me being there, I'll tip $20. I have walked off boats and left no tip, these are the boats I never go back to. :tree: Bob

OK... don't laugh.

I was on a dive trip in 1973... small boat .

I was just surfacing with my buddy when a couple of jellyfish drifted by and I got stung on the leg. Not a bad sting, but man did it hurt. The "skipper" of the boat had me stand on the dive ladder.... he unzipped.... then relieved himself on my leg.... the pain relief was amazing.

I had 50 bucks in my dive bag and handed it to him. I told him "It's not for peeing on me... it's so you NEVER tell anyone you did it":)

Pass the hat and pay $5 per diver to DM's. They normally are only working for tips, the Capt's get paid. If service is good pay more. I am surprised at the number of people that pay 15% at breakfast and then stiff the DM's, I have even seen them stiffed when they have jumped in the water to save a diver.

I put in a $500 tip for the week (5.5 days) of diving on the Rorqual. I made 23 dives, Cindy made 22...that worked out to about 10 bucks a dive.

I think that was a fair amount and I hope they did too.

Here in Japan...none.....tipping isn't a custom here.
Undeveloped country....probably less than $5. In some countries $5 more than some people make in day. US and Canada....about 15-20%?

I was just on a boat where the captain and the DM were hung over and puking the whole trip. While we were diving they were catching up on their sleep from the night before. I don't know why I tipped but I did. I generally tip $10 on a two tank dive. I don't know who set the standard but honestly I don't know if tipping should be required anyway. If I go to an amusement park. Should I tip each of the guys at the rides I get on after all they did help me in my seat and made sure I was locked in securely. Should I tip the airline attendand who gave me my soda and peanuts. Should I tip the old man at walmart that greeted me and gave me a buggy. When I am at a baseball game should I tip the soda boy who passed my drink down the line of 10 people. I could keep going but I guess you get my point.

I do tip. At restraunts I tip 15 to 18%. I generally base it upon how well I was treated. On dive boats I tip as I said $10 a dive and I think that is fair.

4 Hour Dve Trip
10 divers at $10
$100 dollars divided by 4 hours = $25 an hour.

I would say that's pretty darn good wages.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom