• $16-20

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • More than $20

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Need to explain (please post)

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarleyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How much do you tip on a two tank boat dive?
Assume unguided dives, Captain & Mate on board, good assistance on entry/exit, good site brief.

that 10% of the dive cost is reasonable for great service...I've given more and less....

If the captain of the boat helps you on and off with your fins, gets your drink and sandwich, sounds like a decent boat. :)

I can't wait to hear from others...Some might suggest that you've already paid, so why tip? Oh well....

My basic tipping protocal is by the $5 per dive on short trips. If on a longer trip ie: liveaboard I tip $10.00 per day. If I really feel I had exceptional treatment or there was something that went above and beyond normal dive trip care I will add extra to the base tip. I have never gone wrong with this formula.

However, on one recent trip the tables were reversed. I helped everyone far more than the DM or the Skipper with changing tanks, helping out with gear set-up and extraction from the water. So, two of those that I helped made sure that the crew saw me getting "their" tip. While I never asked for those tips and tried to politely refuse them and re-direct them, I am sure I am no longer welcome on that boat!!! Which is "OK" by me because it was way too much work for me to do anyway! :tease:

This is a tough one... On some of the boats I go on, their are good crews, and sometimes I tip, sometimes, I dont. I think thats what they are there for, and for a two tank trip, it just went up to $60. Thats enough money out of me.

Now, other boats I go on, the owner is the operator, and sometimes, his son is there to help crew the boat. I have no problem giving the son a tip, but not the owner. It just seems wrong to give him money for the charter, and then another extra bit of cash too.

I dont know. I;d be interested to hear what others do...

Also, a liveaboard is a whole other story, I tip basically $10 a day for good service...

Thanks - this was very helpful. I tip $10, times two if my girlfriend is on board. When you tip IN advance, you get REALLY really good attention, I've noticed. Also, let the woman give the tip. Don't ask why... male DMs just seem to remember the women better than the guys I guess.

I am with you Mike on why you should let women tip the DM, it all depends on the service that Joni and I get when on a new boat. If it is a crew that we already know that will take care of us it is usually over $5 per person

Do you liveaboard folks tip daily? Or once at the end?

Seems like daily would give more encouragement where needed....

Thoughts?

Usually earns the DM $5-10 depending on how helpful they really were, and how friendly they were.

Having Oreos as SI snacks doesn't hurt either. :D

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom