Tipping your DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guppie9

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I'm a new diver and I am just wondering what is an appropriate tip for a DM. I know it depends on how good they are and there are many factors, but is there a rule? Like at a restaurant, most people tip around 15% and adjust up or down as needed. Is there a similar rule for DM's??? When I completed my OW certification, I actually asked my instructor what would be a good tip, which is kind of embarassing. Since he wasn't the owner, I knew he wasn't getting paid a bunch.

Thoughts?

Typically I tip the boat captain and often they divide the tip up amongst the first mate, DM and everyone involved. For a 2 tank dive that lasted a couple of hours I will tip between 20-50 dollars depending on how well the boat staff, etc did.

Borrowed this blog from Divebuddy.com ... it's ok - I wrote it....

Not so long ago, I blew off a 25 year career as a radio announcer and decided to re-invent my life. I had tried scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef which must have spoiled me, because I thought I’d try THIS for a living! Looked like fun: spend your days in and out of the ocean, lots of fresh air, fun people - what more could you ask for? I was diving off the coast of Brisbane one day when it occurred to me. You could ask for MONEY. The DM on this trip (who was an instructor) had 10 people in his care of varying skill levels including OW students; a van and trailer for a 3 hour return trip, a boat captain and vessel under his thumb,and all the dive center gear to handle. All for $75 a day. Or as I looked at it, $7.50 per life, not including his own. It was my intention to make friends with that DM, figuring if I ticked him off, my life was worth less than I paid for my morning coffee and danish.

I was thinking about being a DM at that point, and realized I needed to be an instructor to be a DM. Cause nobody hires DMs. They hire instructors to BE divemasters. Which makes you wonder why we even HAVE DMs to begin with? But I digress. The sordid truth of the matter hit home like 10 extra pounds in my weight pocket, and my dreams began to sink. Rapidly. I thought: This must just be one dive shop treating its employees badly. After all, these people have to take all the courses, know all the dive sites intimately, be able to handle any problem above and below the water, and entertain everyone at the same time! I was to find out otherwise. It’s worldwide, and it’s distressing, to say the least. Yes, it’s experience for someone looking to hone skills, and log the dives needed to become an instructor, provided you are one of the chosen few who aren’t ALREADY an instructor acting as a divemaster.. Yes, it teaches you all the aforementioned problem solving skills you need everytime you get in the water. Instructor or divemaster, it doesn’t matter. When you’re on the shore or on the boat with any number of people, things happen. And in this worldwide community we love so much, we have added misfortunes to contend with. Misunderstandings due to language barriers, dealing with at least two measurement systems (when will the US ever go metric???), and the simple fact that not every day is a good day for someone! It happens, and you have to deal with it. For 75 dollars a day. Or less. Or nothing.

WHY?

Why would anyone in their right mind do this??? Because we love to dive? Ok, I’ll buy that. But how much fun is your DM having watching over any number of people in 5 foot vis on a cold day off the coast of somewhere, rolling in the tide on the boat when all YOU can do is not complain so as to keep that danish from exiting your body and entering the scuppers? FUN? Doubt it. Exciting? Not hardly. Gainfully employed? More than likely not, and not looking at a very bright future ahead. In this business, anyway.

Think about that next time you get on board for a day of fun under the sun. Take a good look at your DM and how they handle everything going on around them, and think about this:

5 bucks.

5 bucks per diver, per dive. Paid directly to the DM. On average that’s 10 bucks to say, "Thanks for watching over me and making sure I return to the surface, still breathing."

Yep, I know there are many dive boats where gratuities are asked for, begged for, almost demanded - and split by all hands on board. And I know that it’s already costing an arm and a leg to actually GO out for a dive. I know because I just shelled out for 20+ boat dives in Florida to top up my log to get my DM certification (oh how I miss the "free" shore diving in Australia ... sorry...digressing again...). But the truth of the matter is we get to head out, enjoy a dive: see what you want, spear what you want, shoot what you want, whatever - thanks to the capable, learned, experienced DM who led the way. Or at least counted heads off and on the boat.

Mathematically it makes a good day out of a meager one for the DM, who can now stop eating popcorn for dinner and start eating Kraft Dinner, allowing much needed calcium to be added to his/her diet. A reasonable wage, at the end of the day. A LIVING wage, as we call it in the "real" world. Still not a retirement package, but it’s a start. And it’s really not adding all that much to your dive costs. Recompression chambers are MUCH more expensive.

Have I had this revelation now because I’M now a certified DM? Nope, this one’s been rolling around in my mind since that day on the Gold Coast. I’m not working in the industry yet, and that’s the subject of another blog down the line (if you’re hiring, I’m listening!!!). But reading the PADI employment board reminded me of it, and I thought I’d run it by all my dive buddies. I think it’s a good idea: I did when I first thought of it, and I still do, so I do it. I’ve discussed it with a couple of DM’s who, not suprisingly, thought it was a FABULOUS idea, or so they told me between mouthfuls of popcorn. And I admit, there are exceptions to every rule, but as a general diving attitude doesn’t this make good sense? Can we, as divers, take it upon ourselves to implement this plan worldwide for the benefit of all? I look forward to your comments and input on this subject. Feel free to weigh in, please.

5 bucks. You’d spend more on a Grande macciato cappuccino rappacino Al Pacino with soy milk and extra foam, don’t forget the chocolate sprinkles. And a danish.

I thought tipping was standard practice. I'm glad you brought it up, though. I need to check ahead of time to find out what the standard is where I am going.

Wow...eye opening.

Two things factor into your tipping decision in my mind.

1. The price you paid for the base trip. If I looked around the market where I am diving and chose a lower priced operator, I'm going to tend to tip more, thinking that the operator set his price to cover his costs and his profit and the tip is to pay the crew for the services they provide.

2. The quality of those services. The key being did I enjoy my trip. I don't look at it as a you get X for doing Y, because sometimes the best service in a given situation is none. For most of us, diving is recreation and the extent of enjoyment of your recreation indicates it's value.

divemasters work only for tips alone, were not paid from your charter fee. That cost covers the captian,fuel,& boat.

I like to see $15 - $25 tip per person.

It also depends on how much you enjoyed your trip.Remember were here to assist you in making your trip one that will go back & tell your friends about. And we look foward to seeing repet divers year after year.

Enjoy your new diving experience,it's like jumping into a whole new world.....

guppie9,

This is a great question, even if it's been asked before. We all have our own tipping practices, developed over years of experience. My tipping relates to my experience in the US and Caribbean. I assume I'm willing to tip 10% of the trip cost and dial that up for good service and down for bad service, I've paid nothing for no service. What does the DM do to rate the tip? Does the DM make my dives and the dives of others on the boat better? Improving the experience of other may indirectly improve my experience. Does the DM dive with the group, give a good briefing, answer questions and assist divers, goe beyond the call of duty to improve the experience? I'm comfortable with my tip policy, hope you can be too.

I've dived with a single operator in Key Largo for many years now. A fair and equitable tip policy has allowed me to make friends with several of the DMs . They try very hard to make sure my dives are good ones. I'm also friends with several of the boat captains. I generally tip the captains at the end of the trip. This practice has also contributed to a long term relationship and extremely good service. One should consider whether the experience is a one off or whether it may be contributing to a long term, mutally benefical relationship.

Good luck at developing your own tipping practices.

Good diving, Craig

from my personal experience, after three years and three continents working in the dive business:

Most dive instructors / DMs are not exactly going to be on the Rich List - many DMs will be working as interns - effectively paying for the pleasure of diving with a holidaymaker. In most places I've seen, tipping is not required, and is up to the customer's discretion. Some people seem to do it through force of habit!

For me personally: Tips are always appreciated, especially if it's for a job well done, but they're not compulsory.

Cheers n beers

C

...I will tip between 20-50 dollars depending on how well the boat staff, etc did.

On behalf of the captain and the rest of the crew of the Gypsy Blood, please accept an open invitation to dive with us any time!

Gypsy.jpg

Come dive New Jersey! www.GypsyBloodDive.com

:D:D:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom