Tipping the DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is why the tipping paradigm is uncivilized

I think that characterization could be considered accurate... if tipping were considered to be the social or cultural norm in only a handful of remote, backward societies scattered throughout a few jungles and isolated islands around the world.

However, given that tipping is considered to be the social/cultural norm in a huge proportion of societies on earth - and the definition of "civil" is "adhering to cultural or social norms" - logic would indicate that not adhering to the customary tipping protocols is actually the uncivilized behavior in such locations.

I probably took too many logic and debate classes in high school and college. :d

---------- Post added March 16th, 2015 at 02:42 PM ----------

Who is getting emotional? You're having a discussion about socioeconomic realities and I'm discussing tipping on a vaction dive boat. Not the same thing really. :)

Do you think the guy RECEIVING the tip believes they are not the same?

Perhaps the inability of people to see that the two things are one-and-the same (unless the person working on the dive boat is ALSO on vacation and laboring for fun and relaxation rather than financial compensation) is part of the issue here?

---------- Post added March 16th, 2015 at 02:43 PM ----------

Everybody's version of decent is different as are opinions. All good. :)

True. But the same is not true for the concept of "average" however.

I probably took too many logic and debate classes in high school and college. :d

Nah, just a few too many ad classes in college. :D

Really, no matter how strongly you feel or argue the point, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Hope is not lost. I'm sure there are plenty of other viewers in the audience you can convince. Always another guy on the car lot.:wink:

Nah, just a few too many ad classes in college. :D

Never took a single one: biochemistry and philosphy.

---------- Post added March 16th, 2015 at 03:00 PM ----------

I'm sure there are plenty of other viewers in the audience you can convince. Always another guy on the car lot.:wink:

Not trying to convince anyone of anything. Merely pointing out the reality of the situation. Anyone is welcome to reject that reality and substitute their own if they like.

:d

I'm a little distressed by where this thread ended up...:shocked2:

Last edited:
Never took a single one: biochemistry and philosphy.

Lots of calculus etc. and physics for me.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything. Merely pointing out the reality of the situation. Anyone is welcome to reject that reality and substitute their own if they like.:d

I became resigned to my own reality years ago. It's soooo hard to live in someone else's (don't like the food :D).

---------- Post added March 16th, 2015 at 02:26 PM ----------

I think you got an array of answers (don't mind the squabbling, all in good fun:D). I'm afraid that's the best SB can do.:)

OP, I'm confused a little---what island are you diving???/I missed it if you stated where......

Don't sweat it... every SB thread on tipping goes there eventually. I'm surprised it took as long as it did.

:d

I usually tip the “DM / Deckhand” $10 a trip for most of my two tank dives on larger boats. I don’t usually go on “guided” dives, so the Divemaster on most of my trips usually ties off the boat if it’s a wreck dive, and I may hand him/her my fins before climbing back up the ladder on each tank. If I do hire a private guide, which I occasionally do when I don’t want an insta-buddy for a “deepish” wrecks with some penetration, I usually tip about $50 in addition to the fee if they make it a memorable dive for me.

However, given that tipping is considered to be the social/cultural norm in a huge proportion of societies on earth - and the definition of "civil" is "adhering to cultural or social norms" - logic would indicate that not adhering to the customary tipping protocols is actually the uncivilized behavior in such locations.

I am very curious as to what "a huge proportion of societies on earth" is, since as far as I know, it is not common in South-East Asian countries (ie not in their culture), nor in Africa, and neither is it in most of Europe. I'm not talking about the recent american-british invasion that happened in those places, but really about THEIR culture. Sure they don't mind it, but you might notice it's not the norm between them. At least, that's what I've noticed...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom