Tipping - how much and are we cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In So Cal here is how it typically works (there are exceptions) The dive shops buy the whole boat and crew for something like $1,500.00 for a trip to Calalina. This is a 25 mile each way trip which might mean a five hours fuel burn. The captain is typically also the boat's owner. He pays the boat crew and does boat maintaince and fuel cost and so on all out of that $1,500. He typically runs two trips a weekend in the summer one in winter. The dive shops charge divers typicaly 100% above thier cost to charter the boat (assumes a full load of paying divers) but the shops will put on a DM and instructors if they are running clases. DMs and instructors don't pay and take up a spot from an otherwise paying diver. The shop makes good money (for little effort) if the boat sells out but could easly loose a grand if there is a light load.. The DM's are supplied by the shop but typically don't do much as the boat captains can give better briefings and DMs do not get in the water in So Cal. They stay aboard with ther cipboads, count divers and are ready to do a rescue if need be. DM's are either paid abut $50 (for a 12 hour day) or simply allowed to dive on a boat for free later. Most say they are not doing this for money and don't expect it. Buy them a beer and some food for the ride back. Boat crews do mostly have a tip jar. Some casuallymention it others are quiet about it. That $1,500 does get spread thinly with $3.00/gal fuel. So they can use the tips

In a resort area it is different. I think there the norm is that the boat is owned by the dive company and all the crew, DMs included are paid by the hour or day. While here in So Cal some of the DM's might of day jobs that pay 6 figures this is never true of crews in resort areas.

Yeah, but I find that an extended trip is better if you tip the DM every day. That helps if the DM changes from day to day but it also helps grease the skids if you have any little requests.

10 - 20% is what I tip waiters in a restaurant so I believe
the same should apply on a dive, regardless of a 2 tank day trip
or week long live aboard. Better the service, better the tip.

Once again I must say this... I don't tip, don't believe in the act and don't really care if others do... I just don't tip as a general rule... No matter the place or situation. People have their jobs and are expected to do them... It's why its called the "Service Industry"

If someone can not make ends meet without asking for a HANDOUT then I believe they need to find another carrer choice.

GlazierB:
Once again I must say this... I don't tip, don't believe in the act and don't really care if others do... I just don't tip as a general rule... No matter the place or situation. People have their jobs and are expected to do them... It's why its called the "Service Industry"

If someone can not make ends meet without asking for a HANDOUT then I believe they need to find another carrer choice.
This is where you need to know about the local practices regarding tipping. In America, most "service industry" jobs are paid very little in the way of hourly wages. The owner of the establishment knows that his employees will get tips to offset the lower wages. So it is a far cry from a HANDOUT.

Posting the first "negative" answer, I can understand where DBailey is coming from. And, I stress...I have tipped. IF they deserve it....and if I am not pressured.

If the service is exceptional and not forced.....if the dive and the experience is worth a tip fine. But to EXPECT a tip. Sorry sports fan...I work hard for my money and I am not one of those dive magazine described "average diver" that makes 6 figures a year and takes 4 vacations. It can be tough on both sides of the tip.

0% to 20% depending on service same as in a restaurant.

DBailey:
This is where you need to know about the local practices regarding tipping. In America, most "service industry" jobs are paid very little in the way of hourly wages. The owner of the establishment knows that his employees will get tips to offset the lower wages. So it is a far cry from a HANDOUT.

It's a vicious cycle. Abide by the system and you reinforce it. Painful as it may be short-term, if people stopped tipping then the owner would soon "know" that his employees are not getting tips to offset the lower wages, and will eventually move on to other jobs if he doesn't start paying better.

ReefHound:
It's a vicious cycle. Abide by the system and you reinforce it. Painful as it may be short-term, if people stopped tipping then the owner would soon "know" that his employees are not getting tips to offset the lower wages, and will eventually move on to other jobs if he doesn't start paying better.

Assuming, for the sake of the discussion, that things work out exactly as you say they will, why would this be preferable to the current system?

Whatever extra amount the owner pays the employees will simply be added to the food bill. You'll end up paying the same (or even more) but no longer have a mechanism for penalizing poor service. There will also be that much less incentive for the waitstaff to aspire to provide excellent service.

Where is the benefit to the customer?

Back
Top Bottom