Tipping - how much and are we cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cecilb63:
A boat captain I knows says divers are the cheapest group around for getting tips. I've heard that other places too. How come? I know fish charters get decent tips.

Or maybe I should ask, what's expected for a tip when on a dive charter?

Furthermore, what about a tip for a dive instructor? Mine just finished my daughter's cert. It took an extra open water dive but her worked with her and did a great a job. So I gave him a tip. Seemed the right thing to do.

What's the feeling out there for tipping.

Interesting question, specifically the first part. I'd be curious to find out what some of the other water related businesses get. The $5 a tank several have mentioned is a fair rule of thumb that everyone seems to get, but the boat Captain may be right about tips in that industry as a whole.

If you look at the realities of tipping , it's probably not the best business to be in if tips are part of your survival equasion. I'm not sure what the fishing charters here make in tips, but I know waiters, waitresses, bartenders and such can make 200-400 a night in tips at many of the higher end restaurants here. We've got a sizeable population of Hilo residents who make the drive into Kona and Kohala to work in the service industry. As for DMs and boat Captains on dive boats, there's not that kind of money available, simply because the number of customers isn't all that huge.... 6 pack boat, 6 customers giving $10 - $60 for two crew to spit, IF the boat is full and everyone tips. If the boat isn't full, the service is likely to be better, yet the tips less. A 12-15 passenger vessel isn't going to be much different because the number of crew increases.

Diving tips certainly do seem to be a bit below standard when you copmare it with other industries. I know if my wife and I drop $200-$250 at a restaurant (can't say that we actually ever have dropped that much for the two of us) for a meal the waiter/waitress will end up getting more than if we take a dive charter for the same amount and tip the usual - and the dive crew is doing a heck of a lot more than taking our order and running food and drinks back and forth from the kitchen.

Good for you with tipping the instructor, he went the extra mile for your daughter.

mccabejc:
I'm gonna guess that the difference between fishermen = good tips and divers = poor tips is this :

fishermen = :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I was thinking the same. I need a bigger boat and a liquor license... that manta dive would kill!

mccabejc:
I'm gonna guess that the difference between fishermen = good tips and divers = poor tips is this :

fishermen = :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Maybe that's it. But I know some people who tip poorly at retaurants, other who tip well. I wonder if for some reason a lot of divers fall into the later category, some personality trait maybe

Course that's assuming the generalization is true which I have no evidence nor experience with

If the DM saves your butt, i.e. donates gas, stops you from jumping with your valve off/no reg in etc. tip extra. =)

I tip 15-20%. No how about this. I will be on a resort in a few months (no names) and I read that they have you tip 15-20% the day you arrive. I don't like that. I would rather wait and see how the service was and then tip accordingly.

I may tip too much though. I live in NYC (a city where EVERONE expects a tip) and when I get cheaper gas at the New Jersey pumps where you CAN'T fill your own tank up, I tip those guys. Most of my friends from NJ say they don't tip the mandatory pumpers. ??

I tip instructors I feel do a great job or aren't the owner of the shop.

Why do we even have to be forced to tip? Is it because the dang shops dont pay their people decently? Is it for the boat cpt to get some beer money?? It bugs me when I pay a price to get hit up for a tip. I have often given tips....but if I am feeling pressured to tip...I dont...and I dont dive with that group again. Sore spot...sorry.

RICHinNC:
Why do we even have to be forced to tip? Is it because the dang shops dont pay their people decently? Is it for the boat cpt to get some beer money?? It bugs me when I pay a price to get hit up for a tip. I have often given tips....but if I am feeling pressured to tip...I dont...and I dont dive with that group again. Sore spot...sorry.

I'm curious about what percentage of boats PUSH tips. I know it happens. The bigger boats I've worked on all pushed "politely" for it. I've dove off a few boats that pass a jar around, others no mention... probably about even in my experience.

We don't usually even mention it unless it comes up in conversation, some people actually do ask what the common tip is. I've actually had customers (just a few) who told me after a dive day that I should ask for tips, I thought that was a bit unusual.

What percentage of boats do make a big deal of the tip jar at the end of the day?

I've done several 3 tank dives on the same boat. They serve breakfast and lunch, and provide drinks and munchies. Always a quick fill and a very safety conscious and friendly crew. Runs about $100/day to Catalina. They put the tip box out and you drop in whatever you want when you settle up. No pressure. I usually tip between $10 and $20 (higher when the food is great and/or have been pointed to particularly good dive spot). And I've seen the divers that are the biggest PITA not drop a dime.

I usually tip up to $5 for a standard double tank per day.

Back
Top Bottom