Tipping - how much and are we cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gonetobaja:
Well here is a biased answer from a dive guide.....

Some expect to not tip, they feel they have paid for a service. A two tank dive for instance. In my case its a 5 day trip. If I apply that same way of thinking I could say that I am providing just the boat and a ride. If you need help changing your tank, loading your gear(90% of people carry too much s$#T),getting your weight belt off of the bottom after you goofed it and dropped it at the back of the boat. Helping on with your tank, pointing out some cool stuff, etc. than you must pay extra. I could have a list on the side of my boat.

Mask defog.....2.00 per use
extra weight.....1.00per pound
loading your gear....1.00 per pound
listening to your last dive story.....15,000.00 per story
having to hear how the vis was 300 ft on your last vacation......20,000.00 per story
Having to take care of YOUR overboyant partner for 4 dives....20 per dive
Telling you quietly that your 1st stage is on backwards.....100

I guess that this rant list of mine could get pretty big.

My point is that people need to know that there is alot more to taking a group out on a dive trip than meets the eye. What you expect to give as service is going to be different for every person. some will need no help, some need alot. If you dont tip the crew or divemaster or guide than you are screwing them. They have no idea what type of person you are and what your needs are untill you show up on the back of the boat. Then they have to adapt and provide you with the custom service that the particular person may need. your mom may need different attention than the 23 year old son. Its that custom service that you pay your tip for.

As a guide, the extra service I provide proves by my actions that I give a s#@t and I want to make the experience better for you, your tip is you saying thankyou.

You dont have to say thank you in the world, its just a nice thing to do.

:11:

gonetobaja.........don't forget...some of my favorites...I agree with you!!!!!!!!

Lugging tanks
Dealing with divers that complain because their EANx is .1% off from the requested mix
Lend out a spare BCD because of a sticking inflator
Don't forget replacing rotten, broken mask straps, and fin straps
Hooking up the forgotten inflator hose
Going under water, and removing fins for out of shape divers that can't do it themselves
Hauling their equipment on board because they are too out of shape to climb the ladder
Lending out your spare mask because someone forgot theirs
Lending out your divelight for the same reason
Turning on their air, because for them, it wasn't a priority
Showing them how to setup their computer because they didn't have time to read the manual
Teaching dive tables for the 10,000th time
Helping fat divers out of their wetsuit while listening to BS about how they used to dive with Costeau
Retreiving a weight belt FOR THE SECOND TIME
Retreiving fins, masks, snorkels dropped under the boat
AND...cleaning up projectile VOMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

And my all time favorite was the free flowing regulator...that when the second stage was opened and there was a wasp nest inside. Of couse the customer swore the regulator was "just serviced last week".

Try it once and you may even appreciate the job your divemaster does, as he is actually there for you. If you don't think this is a service then you should be running your own boat. And if you're too tight to tip......at least say thank you.

You're not tipping for the service you got today, but for the service you will get next time.

Sure, if dive boats were really smart they would ask for tips at the start of the trip. That way they would know who gets the tank with 2600psi and who gets the 3200psi tanks. Who gets a lift onto the boat and who gets leaned on on the ladder.

Maybe I'll open a dive boat operation, yes.

ranger:
Try it once and you may even appreciate the job your divemaster does, as he is actually there for you. If you don't think this is a service then you should be running your own boat. And if you're too tight to tip......at least say thank you.

This is true, but tis also true that anytime you feel too overworked and underpaid you are perfectly free to do something else. I hear Pizza Hut is looking for delivery drivers.

Rule of thumb:

If you can afford the trip, you can afford to tip!

DBailey:
This is where you need to know about the local practices regarding tipping. In America, most "service industry" jobs are paid very little in the way of hourly wages. The owner of the establishment knows that his employees will get tips to offset the lower wages. So it is a far cry from a HANDOUT.

A tip is, and always has been for extra service. Service above what is expected. It is not to subsidize a crummy wage. If the server feels they are not being paid enough, that is between them and their employer. If the waiters are paid more and that is reflected in the menu prices, thats fine with me. I'll tip for the SERVICE only.

RJP3:
Rule of thumb:

If you can afford the trip, you can afford to tip!

I pondered how to respond to this without seeming offensive or attacking. If there is anyone on this board that believes all are entitled to their opion, it is me.

But to say if you can afford the trip....you can afford the tip reeks of not understanding others financial condition and how many have to scrimp and save to make a dive or go on a liveaboard or just even a dive ops boat. I find it almost offensive to assume that everyone has the money to spend and then again....give a tip consistently.

I am glad for anyone in that position. But dont be so uneducated as to assume ALL are in that position.

Think is forum went off topic a little, people hear "tipping" and ironically assume someone in food environment. Yes, *I* do NOT tip these people as a rule. If someone gives me great serivce and I mean great then yes I will tip. For those who don't like this, fine. My wife HATES the fact I don't tip and nine out of ten times she will tip for us.

I must say... Tipping is a personal thing, don't ever expect a tip just because you've done your job but because you do good at your job. I view tipping a display of "Thank You for a job well done" and such should only be given when that criteria is meet.

As I stand now I am more willing to tip someone related with the dive industry than any other industry. These people are usually underpaid, over educated and well damnit sometimes my life can be put in these people's hands.

Yes earlier I was wrong about the minimum wage in Canada, not by much but still... Yes $8/hr isn't a way to make a great life for yourself and your family. I would consider this an entry job and feel sorry for the individuals who are later on in life still making ends meet this way.

Leave you with this thought... Do you give your pizza delivery driver a $5 for the chef back at the store? His wage is *usually* no greater or less than the drivers. The driver all he does is drive to you neighborhood and drop off someone elses hard work, usually in a car with AC while the chef is standing next to a oven on a hot summer day.

ChillyWaters:
...Canada may be next to the U.S., but we still have different cultures. We're not cheap, we just have different societies and higher minimum wages. ...
- ChillyWaters

Actually, per province, Canada is approx. 5.00 - 8.00 which is about what the U.S. is, and comparing cost of living and exchange rates, its probably the other way around. Just a nit I wanted to pick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom