tinkering with the idea of sidemount for rec diving (cold and warm water)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, I don't think I'm getting this. What cylinders do you have for your twinset?

Just break them apart and plug them and wallah, sm cylinders. More than enough gas to do a 100 footer. Why do you need a pony for anything, when you have fully redundant sm.

Look at it this way,, it's another tool in the box you will or could use if you want. If you tinker like me, and I do tinker a bit ,I dive to have fun and relax! Just do it and see if it benefits you. I also dive all the other configurations, and I also use whatever setup I feel like or need to apply.

I am going to throw another twist in here.... I have 3 sets of back mount doubles, HP120's, HP100's, a LP50's. I also have dive rites Nomad in sidemount with twin AL80's, In conjunction, I also sling a AL30 for class when I have students. Like ajtoady stated, different tools for different jobs. Personally, I prefer back mounted doubles. I do a lot of solo diving and slinging a pony all the time drives me crazy (personal preference) Both sets of my big and bigger doubles....Well just that too big for a simple solo rec dive. 2 months ago I purchased (after a lot of homework, talking to others Tbone thank you, I made the investment on the LP50's. I coudn't be happier!!!!! Small, compact, close to same weight as a single AL80, easier then carrying a pony, true redundancy, balanced, trim out Like the big doubles, same configuration, so I can stay proficient with my tech set up. I still can easily practice swapping regs every 500 psi, like the sidemount. More gas with me then an AL80 without any extras, over fill a little and same amount of gas as AL80 with a slung pony, still in a simple package. Trans fill onsite with the same AL80's you were gonna bring for a 2 tank dive.

I have owned the mini "Dubs" now for almost 2 months. I have over 150 dives in just them alone (yes I dive almost daily) I love them!!!!

Now diving is supposed to be fun ( I am gonna paraphrase Tbone here) Its your dive! As long as its safe, and you enjoy it, then dive your dive with what you want.

I am going to throw another twist in here.... I have 3 sets of back mount doubles, HP120's, HP100's, a LP50's. I also have dive rites Nomad in sidemount with twin AL80's, In conjunction, I also sling a AL30 for class when I have students. Like ajtoady stated, different tools for different jobs. Personally, I prefer back mounted doubles. I do a lot of solo diving and slinging a pony all the time drives me crazy (personal preference) Both sets of my big and bigger doubles....Well just that too big for a simple solo rec dive. 2 months ago I purchased (after a lot of homework, talking to others Tbone thank you, I made the investment on the LP50's. I coudn't be happier!!!!! Small, compact, close to same weight as a single AL80, easier then carrying a pony, true redundancy, balanced, trim out Like the big doubles, same configuration, so I can stay proficient with my tech set up. I still can easily practice swapping regs every 500 psi, like the sidemount. More gas with me then an AL80 without any extras, over fill a little and same amount of gas as AL80 with a slung pony, still in a simple package. Trans fill onsite with the same AL80's you were gonna bring for a 2 tank dive.

I have owned the mini "Dubs" now for almost 2 months. I have over 150 dives in just them alone (yes I dive almost daily) I love them!!!!

Now diving is supposed to be fun ( I am gonna paraphrase Tbone here) Its your dive! As long as its safe, and you enjoy it, then dive your dive with what you want.
that is very interesting and a thought for sure but there is one positive sidemount gets me that these do not. they give me the capability of diving doubles anywhere I travel (assuming the charter boats allow it). As for using 50s as doubles in backmount...you can also say the same thing about sidemount ...you could sidemount them as well for a nice smaller lighter type kit.

that is very interesting and a thought for sure but there is one positive sidemount gets me that these do not. they give me the capability of diving doubles anywhere I travel (assuming the charter boats allow it). As for using 50s as doubles in backmount...you can also say the same thing about sidemount ...you could sidemount them as well for a nice smaller lighter type kit.

Exactly!!! I know a few people who use 65’sfot their SM rig. Yes SM has great flexibility and versatility. Dive ur dive and have fun!

Hi I am fairly new to tech diving and was curious how you transfill, what is needed and can you do that on a dive boat in between dives?

If I were you, instead of investing in sidemount, I'd plug your doubles and run as independent doubles.
I'd think that an even easier solution would be to just close the isolation manifold and dive that twinset as independent doubles. Is there anything I've missed?

I'd think that an even easier solution would be to just close the isolation manifold and dive that twinset as independent doubles. Is there anything I've missed?
Independent doubles give you the ability to separate the tanks without draining and fully disassembling.

im not getting the whole "doubles is easier than a pony" discussion. I have a couple of HP steel 120s and a 19cf as a pony and also an AL40.

Why wouldnt my 120 back mount with a slung 40 NOT be better than backmount doubles? I dont see where backmount double 80s beats my 120 and 40. Im talking about weight and bulk. I only sling the 19 or 40 once i hop in water and can hand it up as I get out of water.
For me slinging a pony is easy and comfy compared to what I think doubles would be.

Im not disagreeing with anyone but just trying to figure out why a backmount single and pony is more of a pain than backmount doubles which seems cumbersome.

maybe its all just personal preference

Back
Top Bottom