Time to find a new port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The port was closed today for the swim part of the race. The swimmers were to swim through the Caleta down to the cruise ship pier and back. Captainea de Puerto closed the port for safety reasons. Good idea to not have boats running with hundreds of swimmers in the water. Although I am not certain, I believe that the port was to reopen around 10. Although it can be irritating-- as you suggest-- losing a dive day, we must look at the big picture. The dynamic of Cozumel has been evolving from a dive mecca, to a cruise ship mecca and now a world class Triathlon race. Cozumel is very lax in getting the word out when it comes to closing roads or in this case the port. However the races are scheduled during October and November--notorious slow periods for tourism on the Island. We do know when the races are to commence and we cancel morning diving when they start as to avoid the road closures. Afternoon trips are usually completed with no problems. Because of the Triathlons, new and imporved roads are in place now all around the Island. A benefit of having the races here. It is much better for a community to have many different resources supporting the local economies. Look at the US cities that were locked into the auto industry. Bet they wish a triathlon would be scheduled in their cities. Although you lost four dives, you are still in a wonderful relaxing place. Try next time to schedule an afternoon or night dive on race days. Kick back and enjoy another cerveza.

They did not open the port at 10am as planned, it stayed closed, so ops who had made plans to delay their departures for the 10am opening were not able to take their divers out at all. It wasn't poor planning on the part of dive shops, it was the last minute changes that caused the issues.

While having the event on the island is a great thing, the location and course were planned poorly for the athletes (have you SEEN the water in the fonatur marina? I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to swim in that) and there was no thought given to how other businesses (dive ops in particular) would be affected. There was nowhere for people to park to watch the event, and the whole area was generally chaotic and confusing.

I totally understand why the OP is frustrated, it was a frustrating situation on all sides, but it does seem a bit dramatic to declare a ban on Cozumel because of it.

It was a total cluster.Some shops like Aldora got the word and got their boats the heck out of there early. Other got no notice. Yesterday morning they block the entrance. So all the marineros were parking across the street and walking it.They put line tape across the entrance to Fonatur to block traffic, so all the bicyclists had to stop and get off their bikes to duck under the line. Which of course might have been a good idea since that varnished finish probably would wrecked a few.Then those poor SOB got in the Fonatur water. Have you seen some of those OLD boats that run around Coz? Can you imagine how much diesel, fuel and other pollutants are in that water? Apparently the children were thrown in there for their entire competition! I hear swimmers were reporting an itch. Bet their wet suits are ruined.First they were shutting down the entrance to the marina which was not well announced and everyone was ticked, so then I guess the crisis management team snapped into action and decided 'Let's close the port. That will clearly end all the complaining!" Which of course was another total fail.I know they are bringing more and more athletic competitions to the island, but it seems they are moving in the direction of not integrating but rather giving preference to these event. Like the bike road on the old road south. I can't remember the last time I saw a bike. I only ever see motos running on it in the bike direction and the occasional lost tourist or taxi driver who isn't going to go the long way. Still I find that annoying. I can't imagine it is safer to dedicate a lane for bikes so they think it is safe then round a corner for a confused tourist coming at them.

Dear Chief,

Couldn't agree with you more. But that is part of the reason we keep boats in Both Caleta/Fonatur and Puerto Abrigo in the north. WE also have staff that are in direct contact with the authorities. Stupidity, north Storms, or even hurricanes we have ways to take care of our divers, for the most part "No Matter What".

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

ALDORA DIVERS

Dear Chief,Couldn't agree with you more. But that is part of the reason we keep boats in Both Caleta/Fonatur and Puerto Abrigo in the north. WE also have staff that are in direct contact with the authorities. Stupidity, north Storms, or even hurricanes we have ways to take care of our divers, for the most part "No Matter What".Dave DillehayAldora DiversALDORA DIVERS

Why does it seem I always set you up for a commercial? :) (You know how you can pay the bill right? )

Seriously though all those small ops shouldn't be at the whim of the powers that be like that. They should be entitled to better communications from the entity they PAY (Not all of course, some lots actually pay their rent...) to let them know what is going on and what the plan is. They should not have to be digging for that info. Heck even BIG DP was getting screwed in this deal. But I guess when you get pushed into a new marina that they finally start to finish AFTER you move in, what more would you expect. I hear landslide traffic was not planned well at all. Heck even the athletes hated the route.

The island really is going to the dogs. Sad. Too bad is couldn't stay great.

Pretty sure Dave doesn't need anyone's help to find a way to play a commercial for Aldora :wink:
Shhhhhh! Don't mess up Chief's play! :crocodile:

Dear Chief and others.

Sorry if it sounded like a commercial, but it should not take a rocket scientist to anticipate the stupidity that often happens here with the authorities and other idiots. Maybe this should be a wake up call to others to pay attention to what is, or may be happening and take better care of their divers.

Dave Dillehay

Dear Chief and others.

Sorry if it sounded like a commercial, but it should not take a rocket scientist to anticipate the stupidity that often happens here with the authorities and other idiots. Maybe this should be a wake up call to others to pay attention to what is, or may be happening and take better care of their divers.

Dave Dillehay

You seem to forget that not every dive shop has the infrastructure (number of places to moor boats, staff, etc) that you do to make that happen. What do you think other shops should have done exactly on Sat to "take better care of their divers" without having the number of boats you do in multiple harbors? I'm in no way implying that Aldora doesn't do a lot of great things for their divers, or that you didn't work very hard to build the business you have, but surely you can recognize that not every dive business wants/needs to be as big as you've grown your business, or is at the stage in their "business lifespan" to be there yet. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but it sounds like you're implying that other businesses are being lazy and don't care about their customers because they weren't able to get them out diving when the marinas and the port were closed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom