Time of year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We have always gone diving in Cozumel in December. I love to see the Eagle Rays.

We are thinking about planning the next vacation. Is there a time of year I might see something I don't see in December? Any reason to switch up the plan?

(Edit: No idea how this got in the Mexico forum... I was on the Cozumel page when I posted.)

Last edited:
(Edit: No idea how this got in the Mexico forum... I was on the Cozumel page when I posted.)

Fixed it for you :)

Can you get to whale sharks directly from Coz? Most accounts I've read involved folks taking a ferry to the mainland, then a bus ride, then another boat trip to frolic with the B-F-Ss (Big Sharks).

Never mind - I misread MMMs comment. :dork:

Last edited:
You can see the whale sharks in July, August and early September as well.

The water is warmer. The days are longer. Pools are usable.

August and later you may be able to see hatching turtles and turtles laying eggs. Both are great experiences.

For the last several years, I've come to Cozumel in December, and I love it. But there are pros and cons to all different times of the year. For several years, from 1994 to 2004, I owned a fixed-week timeshare at Plaza Las Glorias and I came in the last week of March every year. The diving was great, but the currents occasionally got a bit strange, and the water temps were a little cooler in March than in early December, only a couple of degrees, but I'm pretty cold tolerant, so It never bothered me. I liked it because of a Sports Bar called the Sports Page, which is now closed and gone - but in those days, I could always catch the NCAA March Madness Games at the Sports Page, and while Cozumel never got the Spring Break crowds that Cancun or Playa Del Carmen got, I could usually count on a good crowd of college kids cheering on their favorite teams. And The Sports Page served a pretty decent Grouper Sandwich with very tasty fries. I've also gone to Cozumel several times in July. Diving is good, currents predictable, water temps warm, and there is the option to snorkel with the Whale Sharks. But, when you are not in the water, it can be very hot and muggy, and rain is an almost daily event. Good AC in your hotel room and a decent pool (NOT the kiddie pool at Casa Mexicana) is a MUST for a trip in July, and prepare to get sweaty when walking to restaurants for meals. Overall, I think early December and late March- early April are my favorite times of the year in Coz, but a week in Coz at ANY time of year is better than working.

Ooh- whale shark season!
But now I need to figure out where to stay with a pool...

Depends on where you are from. A lot of use from Texas and Oklahoma/the south will come in the summer time, since to us, it is cooler in Cozumel (temps only 90 degrees vs 100-115). So the summer heat doesn't bother us much. People from up north though don't seem to like the hot months as much though and prefer the Nov-April months.

I like June as it is a really nice compromise. The temps are warm enough the pools feel great, yet the heat isn't like it is in August..... Also the currents are usually perfect by June, turtles are all over as they are in nesting mode and all the resorts are in slow season so they are only 50-60% occupied.

I couldn't imagine going in March/Dec and dealing with the crazy crowds haha!

Depends on where you are from. A lot of use from Texas and Oklahoma/the south will come in the summer time, since to us, it is cooler in Cozumel (temps only 90 degrees vs 100-115). So the summer heat doesn't bother us much. People from up north though don't seem to like the hot months as much though and prefer the Nov-April months.

I like June as it is a really nice compromise. The temps are warm enough the pools feel great, yet the heat isn't like it is in August..... Also the currents are usually perfect by June, turtles are all over as they are in nesting mode and all the resorts are in slow season so they are only 50-60% occupied.

Well, I'm a Texan living in Iowa. So the summer is crazy humid because of the Mississippi River (worse humidity than when I lived in Houston actually), but not too ridiculously hot (just a few days over 100).

I haven't noticed crowds in December (and there are usually discounts on hotels)- but we don't go for Christmas. I would really love to go in January, because that is when our winter is the coldest, but there are just too many nortes for me to plan the dive vacation then. We've lucked out in December so far.

June sounds nice- I love calmer currents and lots of turtles.

I want to go when the baby turtles are hatching some time.....but my wife is a teacher so it has been summer since 1996 lol.

Back
Top Bottom