Time For Some Industry Standards for Dive Computer Alarms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would never dive a computer that makes noise. Diving should be a silent or relatively silent sport.

I have a Nitek Duo that is a constant reminder of what a real computer should be!
My Shearwater takes care of it from there anyway.
I use the Duo in gauge mode but it is bent most of the time......... awaiting a real back up Petrel!

Standardization would not be a good idea IMO.
Reasons already discussed on the previous posts.
Alarms are used for the less diligent to become careless.
That is a reason enough for me!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I have a Nitek Duo that is a constant reminder of what a real computer should be!
My Shearwater takes care of it from there anyway.
I use the Duo in gauge mode but it is bent most of the time......... awaiting a real back up Petrel!

!

How does the Duo get bent in gauge mode?

Im diving the same combo, BTW - a Shearwater as a computer - and DUO in gauge mode.

I have an air-integrated computer, and I have turned off all the alarms except for the most critical. I don't want to rely on alarms for my safety, and know that I need to regularly keep an eye on my numbers. I know when I am ascending too fast, because I am watching my computer during my ascent. I also take responsibility for understanding my own computer - we had one instance where my buddy misread some numbers and we had to cut short a dive - now we both take pains to understand our own computers much better.

I would never dive a computer that makes noise. Diving should be a silent or relatively silent sport.

Concur. That's why I will never migrate to full face mask with integrated comms.

Dive computers...I have two... one without audible alarm (Shearwater) and one with the alarms turned off, Suunto. Both are also non air integrated.

Last but not least, pools and shallow quarries/lakes represent great training areas for those who want to get acquainted or experiment with newly acquired gear equipment with specific dives devoted for that purpose. It should be taken into consideration in the dive plan and covered in the pre-dive briefing such as BTW it is going to be my very first dive with this dive computer and I am not quite familiar with all of its functions.

I think it would be nice (for people with Buddys) to have some standardized alarms for low air or "need help". But it would be impractical to have computers always figuring out individual air consumption ,air/time needed for return to surface/boat/shore. It also means that new divers would get lazy & dependent on computers(AI computers at that)to do their thinking for them & start holding other parties responsible for their lack of vigilance as far as air/depth/ndl etc. I think all divers should learn "Tables"(even if not used),to use & watch the gauges/computers & how to be self sufficient, THOSE make the best Buddys/Divers.

It seems like you shouldn't rely on an alarm for anything underwater, ..............unless you're a seal, and you're sleeping, and you have an important meeting to get to.

Intersting idea, but wrong. Be responsible for your own dive. I have all my visual and auduble alarms disabled. I simply pay attention to my computers and guage.

How does the Duo get bent in gauge mode?

Im diving the same combo, BTW - a Shearwater as a computer - and DUO in gauge mode.

I don't believe the duo's came with gauge mode. I had one years ago but have since moved to a shearwater.

The original post is a horrible idea. If you aren't managing the points emphasized as reasons for alarms, then please shred your C card and take up golf.

There is an industry gold standard. Its called RTFM (paraphrased and I'm sure I messed it up).

Back
Top Bottom