Time for own gear, critique my wish list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looked a little into the XTX 50, It sounds like the XTX200 is "top of the line", why do so many prefer the XTX50?

I have the opportunity to "test" some gear this weekend... I plan to continue doing so til I can afford everything!

I believe the 2nd stage of the 200 is smaller, hence less jaw fatigue.

No, unless they've changed it it's the same size, just has 'chrome' highlights on the purge cover (as does the XTX100). Internally, all the Apeks regs use the same parts kit, so which one you choose is mainly a matter of price, hose routing, and looks (if you care). Most tech divers don't care about the looks, and since the XTX-50 is cheaper than the XTX100/200 with the same functionality, they tend to go with it. The FST(?) first stage on the XTX100 actually seems like it might have the best hose routing for doubles, but costs considerably more than a DS4.

The big difference is in the first stage. The XTX50 has a real small swivel 1st stage. The XTX200 has a one piece first stage.

I don't know the actual nomenclature of the two first stages.

IIRR the 200 has the FSR (or FST, I can never remember which but the 100 has the other), the 50 comes with the DST but you can also get it with the DS4, and many tech divers prefer the DS4 for doubles as the lack of the swiveling turret eliminates a potential failure point. I have an XTX-50/DST for singles, and plan to use that on a deco bottle (where the swiveling turret can be useful) when I put XTX-50s/DS4s on my doubles rig.

The XTX50 1st, allows for better hose routing when it comes to doubles (thinking down the road).

I have the XTX200's and the hoses cross real close to my isolation manifold. When I reach behind my head for my isolation valve I have to make sure I don't accidentally have a hose in my hand.

Link to 200
Apeks Products

Link to 50
Apeks Products

All the Apeks regs are excellent, so it's mainly a question of how deep your pockets are and what works best for you.

Guy

I'm not a big fan of Dive rite (everything of theirs I've owned broke or never worked properly- including P valves, SMB's, and my buddy's light). If I was from California I'd go DSS all the way... oh wait, I'm from Chicago and I still bought DSS. If not I'd go halcyon or oxycheq. I'm not a fan of OMS either...

Looked a little into the XTX 50, It sounds like the XTX200 is "top of the line", why do so many prefer the XTX50?

I have the opportunity to "test" some gear this weekend... I plan to continue doing so til I can afford everything!

I own 1 xtx200 and 3 xtx50's. The xtx200 is my girlfriend's. I cannot tell the difference between any of them but the 1st stage on the 50's (DS4) routes better then the XTX200 for doubles. Anything over the xtx50's is overkill and a waste of money, save it for other gear.

I'd also highly recommend purchasing as much of your gear as possible used. You can find some great deals in the classifieds here and save a bunch of money. A lot of the stuff I own was bought used online from one of the various dive message forums. There's a few XTX50's for sale right now online for decent prices. I'd also definitely go DIN if you plan on diving doubles and getting into the technical realm in the future.

Before you buy used on reg's, do your homework. Apex and Aqualung regs come with lifetime service parts for the original owner (when purchased from an authorized distributor). You only have to pay for the labor. Over several years this cost savings can add up substantially.

Before you buy used on reg's, do your homework. Apex and Aqualung regs come with lifetime service parts for the original owner (when purchased from an authorized distributor). You only have to pay for the labor. Over several years this cost savings can add up substantially.

But you'll have to keep them for several years before you come out ahead. Someone just sold two used XTX-50s/DS4s for $350 over on Dive Matrix ( I considered buying them for doubles). Buying new from my LDS I'd probably be looking at something around $500 each (XTX-50 & DST not on sale was $519) plus 9.75% tax, or about $545. My LDS currently charges $54 plus tax for parts for an Apeks 1st and 2nd stage for the annual service, so you can figure out how many years it would take you to break even, assuming you had the used regs serviced when you buy them.

$175 (for one 1st & 2nd stage) + $5 (est. shipping for one reg set) + $50 labor (for initial service) + $59 (parts and tax) = $289 + $236 (4 years parts & tax) = $525 vs. $545, so in this case it will be five years before you start paying more for your regs, assuming you get them serviced annually. In this case, if you figure to keep the same regs longer than that you should buy new under warranty, otherwise you'll lose money in the long run.

Guy

I'm not a big fan of Dive rite (everything of theirs I've owned broke or never worked properly- including P valves, SMB's, and my buddy's light). If I was from California I'd go DSS all the way... oh wait, I'm from Chicago and I still bought DSS. If not I'd go halcyon or oxycheq. I'm not a fan of OMS either...

Most of his proposed DR gear is fairly unbreakable- I can't see how one can break a BP or a STA, and the harness is probably the very same fabric that is used by all manufacturers (either regular or resin-reinforced).

To be fair, "fast equipment wear", deterioration, failures and breakage can happen to any manufacturer. For example, most of my gear is Halcyon and I had an inflator problem, OPV failure and one of my wings the outer fabric disintegrated. One of my ScubaPro MK20 (crappy UL version...) regulators suffered from extreme corrosion to the point I was afraid to use it.

Sure, "H" have a great service and they replaced everything (apparently they also initiated a recall on the inflator and spring, but at the time I didn't know that). But it takes some time to send the parts by mail and get them back...

As to the SP MK20 regulator the local dealer didn't tell me that the reg's state applies to the SP lifetime guarantee. When I told him that I don't use it anymore he suggested me to "trade-in" with a new one (i.e. I give him the old one, he gives me a new one with some 10% discount...). I was lucky to find here in SB that it can be actually replaced by SP, which they did. Took a few weeks, though :D

So, things may happen to any gear- sometimes user fault, sometimes manufacturer bad design, or low production quality. Moral of the story is to always check the gear before a dive and try to buy from reputable dealers and manufacturers :)

Last edited:
Most of his proposed DR gear is fairly unbreakable- I can't see how one can break a BP or a STA, and the harness is probably the very same fabric that is used by all manufacturers (either regular or resin-reinforced).

To be fair, "fast equipment wear", deterioration, failures and breakage can happen to any manufacturer.

I had a Hollis aluminum backplate that I used for about six months. In that short time, the holes and edges of the plate showed a good deal of damage, just from banging it around during transport and when putting doubles on, etc.

There's a huge amount of variation, also, in the webbing available from different manufacturers. The dive-rite resin reinforced and the DSS are both well liked. Hollis' resin reinforced webbing was also good. I was not a fan of the dive-rite non-resin-reinforced. There is a diversity of views on the Halcyon webbing. At the moment, I'm experimenting with a high-tenacity polypropylene webbing soaked in flexible PVC glue and partially lined with tubular nylon webbing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom