Time for own gear, critique my wish list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeepguy099

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone I am a new diver and have done quite a bit of research on these boards and have built a wish list and this is what I have come up with so far.

I currently teach swim lessons at a dive shop so therefore I have a select list of manufacturers to choose from. Luckily, we do carry quite a few brands that are popular on this forum. I have talked to a few at the shop about gear, but I wanted other opinions and ideas as well.
I currently dive in a few local lakes and Monterey, with hopes of diving Catalina this summer. I have been renting the standard jacket BC’s and a 7 mm wetsuit for all my dives. It works fine but my research has led me to believe a hog style rig will fit me best as I see its benefits- it will give me room to grow, customize, and is easy to maintain and upgrade.

Here is a fairly complete list… please give your thoughts and opinions.

I will be diving wetsuit but plan on having my drysuit certification by the end of this year.

Singles rig:
Dive Rite SS plate
Dive Rite basic harness (set up like the ultimate hog harness on divegearexpress.com)
Dive Rite STA
2 inch crotch strap
OMS 32 lb. donut BC (enough lift if using drysuit? Suggestions very welcome here, we do not carry oxycheq)
XS scuba pocket weight belt
Wrist-mounted compass
Back up light

As far as gauges go I plan to use a “Brass & Glass” SPG, and wrist mounted bottom timer or computer (opinions here? I have been considering aladin tec 2g and the DR Nitek/ Zeagle N2ition, these seem to have good reviews, fairly priced, and work for NDL diving with room for some deco/stage diving).

I haven’t looked into regs much yet. The Legend is very popular at the shop. Because this is an open-water rig I plan to use a 40 inch hose on my primary looped under my armpit with an L adapter, 22 inch hose for bungied secondary. No idea what regulator to get on the secondary, all I know is that unbalanced is suggested.

I currently use twin jet max fins which work fine for now. I will eventually fork over the cash for SP jets.

I am sure that I will have more questions once I finalize this list and purchase the rig and begin to set it up, I appreciate your thoughts!

Jeepguy099

I currently dive in a few local lakes and Monterey, with hopes of diving Catalina this summer. I have been renting the standard jacket BC’s and a 7 mm wetsuit for all my dives. It works fine but my research has led me to believe a hog style rig will fit me best as I see its benefits- it will give me room to grow, customize, and is easy to maintain and upgrade. ... I will be diving wetsuit but plan on having my drysuit certification by the end of this year.
Singles rig:
Dive Rite SS plate Good
Dive Rite basic harness Good
Dive Rite STA Good. You can use just cambands without a STA as well. I porefer the STA.
2 inch crotch strap Good. I find a 1 inch works fine, but 2 is good as well.
OMS 32 lb. donut BC (enough lift if using drysuit? Suggestions very welcome here, we do not carry oxycheq) For single tank, good. Size if fine. I like OMS - some don't, but it will work well for you.
XS scuba pocket weight belt Interesting choice. Any particular reason for the pocket belt? Just curious.
Wrist-mounted compass Good. I presume you are thinking Suunto SK7, although you don't mention any other Suunto products.
Back up light What kind of primary will you get?

I plan to use a “Brass & Glass” SPG, Good
wrist mounted bottom timer or computer (...I have been considering aladin tec 2g and the DR Nitek/ Zeagle N2ition, these seem to have good reviews, fairly priced, and work for NDL diving with room for some deco/stage diving). All are fine. Sounds like you are thinking ahead (comment about deco/stage diving). If that is possibly in your future, and you are looking at a multi-gas computer, I applaud your planning. I don't find the Niteks all that easy to read U/W in dim light / low vis, but that may be as much my age as the display. Whatever you decide, get a big readable display, without getting a bulky unit.

The Legend is very popular at the shop. Because this is an open-water rig I plan to use a 40 inch hose on my primary looped under my armpit with an L adapter, 22 inch hose for bungied secondary. No idea what regulator to get on the secondary, all I know is that unbalanced is suggested. Legend is a good reg. Why unbalanced for your secondary? Personally, I have always used the same second stage for my primary and my secondary. A bit more expensive, possibly, but why use a lower grade secondary? Bungeed secondary is good. Why only a 40 inch hose for the primary, which is what you will donate? Or, perhaps, I don't understand your planned set up.

I currently use twin jet max fins which work fine for now. I will eventually fork over the cash for SP jets. Good. With either a drysuit or a 7mm wetsuit, you will find the negative buoyancy of the Jets will be a welcome feature.

I am sure that I will have more questions once I finalize this list and purchase the rig and begin to set it up, I appreciate your thoughts! As Keith said, GOOD FOR YOU on doing your homework in advance of purchasing. There is NO ONE AND ONLY ONE RIGHT RIG. And, all of us have our individual preferences. So, where you are planning to start is a very good selection.

I'm assuming your brand choices are to keep your purchases at the shop where you work? If not, at least take a look at the Deep Sea Supply singles setup with either the horseshoe or torus wing, and see how it compares on price. Tobin's equipment has some nice touches (like the grommets in the plate, which make adjusting a bit easier and don't chafe the webbing) and DSS's customer service is excellent.

The Legend reg is a good choice. I have the Titan LX and still use it for my singles setup. It was very good value for the money.

I would counsel, however, that as soon as you know what your weight requirements are for your rig, you get away from the pocketed weight belt. I have had a five pound weight come out of one of the pockets during a deep dive, and thank goodness there were kelp stipes to help me control my ascent! I use hard weights threaded on a belt now, with a metal buckle, and have had no further problems.

Your rig is very close to mine: Dive Rite SS plate and harness, with the STA. I just bought the OMS 32lb. Donut Wing as well, I really like it. Be sure to LEARN how to dive in a drysuit, if you haven't dived in one before. I also use the Legend, as does everyone at our shop (primary on a 40" hose and secondary on 22" hose). I despise the Jets, and use the Dive Rite fins.

Thank you for all of your replies, I will try to answer your questions the best I can!

Colliam7, I choose the pocket belt out of concern of hard weights being uncomfortable and reading positive comments regarding the pocket belt. HOWEVER, I have not tried threaded weight belt :D

I plan on the SK7 for my compass

As far as the primary light goes, I have decided not to get one yet as most of my diving so far has been fairly shallow. This will likely be one of the first things on my list after I purchase the rest of my equipment.

I picked the 40" under the armpit for the primary as this seems to be a pretty popular setup with OW rigs as well as the an unbalanced lower-grade secondary- I have heard they are less likely to free flow (Is this true?).

TSandM, I will purchase from my shop as I want to support it and I can get some nice deals :cool2:, otherwise I would be all over DSS... sounds like I'll stick to threaded weights (saves money anyways, right?).

Moonglow, the idea of a similar rig gives me reassurance, and believe me, I will have that drysuit dialed in ASAP! Also, why the Dive Rites over the Jets? I can't see much of a difference having never tried them.

Thanks again, more comments/opinions/questions/bashes are welcome!

Colliam7, I choose the pocket belt out of concern of hard weights being uncomfortable and reading positive comments regarding the pocket belt. ... TSandM, ... sounds like I'll stick to threaded weights (saves money anyways, right?).
Good idea to at least start with an inexpensive web belt, to see if it works for you.
I picked the 40" under the armpit for the primary as this seems to be a pretty popular setup with OW rigs as well as the an unbalanced lower-grade secondary- I have heard they are less likely to free flow (Is this true?).
As I mentioned, there isn't only one 'correct' rig, so this will work fine. And, the usual alternate hose length is 40" and we use that for air sharing in OW class, etc. For me, a 40" hose is a little on the short side as the donated reg in OOA drills. Sharing in a static position with a 40" isn't a challenge, but when we start swimming I personally like a little more hose (60", or 72"). But if it works for you, that is what counts. Whether an unbalanced is less likely to freeflow (yes, they are considered less likely to do so, in current and in cold water) than a balanced second stage is probably less of an issue than whether any second stage is likely to free flow if properly tuned. I use balanced second stages for primary and (bungeed) alternate. The only time I have had a freeflow issue was in a very strong current, and that was easily addressed by a slight shift in position, or when I had a first stage problem. Even in very cold water, with a 'warm water' reg and a balanced second stage, I haven't had a freeflow problem. But, that is just my experience and maybe I have been lucky, or never in the position where a freeflow is likely. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with an unbalanced second stage as your bungeed octo. I was just curious.

I'm curious about your choice for only a 40" primary hose. With a hog rig, your primary is the one you donate to your buddy and it really is nice having a 5-foot hose, and a 7-foot primary is REALLY nice. I could air share with somebody all day with either one and not have to worry about current, or just being too close, yanking regs out of mouths, etc.

Also, unless you have a build like mine (super skinny) there is no way to really streamline the setup as nice as a loop like you would use with a 5-foot or longer hose.

Granted, it's completely your rig so make the choices you think will make you happy. I saw a hog rig this weekend with a completely recreational reg setup on it. Her boyfriend is a tech diver, apparently.

Either way, enjoy your rig and have many happy dives!!

Peace,
Greg

Don't forget your SMB, or Signalling tube! Highly recommended. There are many different brands, DAN, Zeagle, OMS, OxyCheq, Hollis, etc.

If you have access to Aqualung, check out Apeks.

The only thing I'd suggest is putting your primary on a 5' (60") hose and check out the DR Nitek Duo.

They are a good two gas computer. They seem to be good deals now because I think they're being phased out my the DR Trio.

Go to DSS and look at getting the bungee boots for your computer and compass.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom