Time for new fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving the Hollis F-1's for a couple years now. I was actually one of the testers for these fins and the ones I have are a set of the prototypes. They are an awesome fin! And now with the new two color ones coming out (not sure of the release date) they are even cooler! And yes I have a set of the prototypes of those:D. The only reason I was keeping my Blades was because my original F-1's were XL's and were a little sloppy with my thinner boots. The new two color ones are the next size down and Goldilocks would say they are just right for my thinner boots and the drysuit. And they are easy as hell to see in low vis. Had them on checkouts two weeks ago and they really do standout. You cannot miss those tips moving through the water. They have the same 3 position spring strap adjustment system and like the orignals are slightly negative in freshwater so they should be just about neutral in salt. They were designed that way. There were a couple of the orignals that had an issue with the pocket tearing that I know of from posts on here. Hollis was very quick to take care of that from my understanding and I'm betting that like any molded product there were a couple that might have slipped past quality for whatever reason. Make a few thousand of a new fin and it is just odds that a couple will have issues. I also understand that the production run of the new finsa will have a little smaller area on the tips that is the new yellow color. Not that it makes a big difference. Mine are quite wide and a little uneven but they are prototypes and I don;t give a rats ass about an uneven line on a fin. If someone does they are too much of a prissy wuss for me to dive with anyway. Again I can't think of any reason for me to dive any other fin. I refuse to pay 200 or even 150 for a fin. Even if I could I'm not that loose with my money. The Hollis fins are my fins from now on.

what Jim Lapenta said.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Luckily I won't be diving for a bit of time (it's really freaking cold up here) so I will have time to look into some fins :)

Great read. As silly as this fin looks it got the best review: Fins - SCUBAPRO Seawing Nova
scubapro-seawing-nova.jpg

I have the Seawing Nova. It is positively buoyant. I do not like it for surface swimming since I am use to a neutral or negative fin. Also I notice for some reason the upswept tips sometimes hit when i am kicking.

I have been diving for just over two years now and have been using the Oceanic Vortex V-16 Split Fins

I noticed this weekend the fins are developming some cracks right in front of the toe area (probably when the fins get bent on getting back onto a boat/surface).

Given that I am looking for new fins but never had ones other then these so am at a loss.
I am 6'3", 225 lbs, and strong. I am looking for something new and would like your thoughts.

The ones I did look at are:

Mares X-Stream Open Heel Fins
AquaLung Slingshot Open Heel Fins

Ok they both look really cool - but thoughts, suggestions are appreciated on these or others since testing out all of the different options is not feasible.

Something that can take a beating (cause I abuse things), and provides good performance. Weight is not too much of an issue for me (again I am a big guy).

Regards

Much faster and much more efficient than any fins discussed here.... SpecialFins Monofins & fins for Freediving,Spearfishing,UW Games

I can keep up with divers on tekna scooters with these.

DanV

How do they do with drysuit and doubles? If the OP is diving local up here he will soon be in a drysuit at the least. I have never tried to keep up with someone on a scooter. And not sure why I'd want to.

How do they do with drysuit and doubles? If the OP is diving local up here he will soon be in a drysuit at the least. I have never tried to keep up with someone on a scooter. And not sure why I'd want to.
As tri lams like DUI have a foot that is much like a neoprene sock ( which a rock boot type drysuit shoe is normally worn over) , these can work very well with the right dry suit....even the high drag of dual 80's with a 30 or cu foot O2 stage slung DIR style, will not alter the exceptional efficiency of the fin....but if I want to keep pace with scooter divers ( as in lobstering with them), I will not be wearing doubles :D

Regards,
DanV

P.S.
We have some awesome lobster dives off the back rolls of Juno Reef...you cover many miles, aided by the drift current, but even so, there is a big plus to high speed cruising and the freedive fins OR scooters make this way better. With my freedve fins, I am better paired to a scooter diver than a split fin diver, absolutely!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom