Tiggrr and Zaphod go to Bonaire 3/7 - 3/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ooh, herman, i'd love to. what are the dates? we have to go to south dakota for a family reunion i think the 11th.

jennifer, it's looking great!

tracy, bummer about the camera. :(

What a perfect day!!

First of all, last night we had Gibi's famous Sunday BBQ and it was fabulous!! Tons of cool people... Pembina and her lovely husband came ...Liz the owner was here to entertain....and lots of other divers with their crazy dive stories. Who doesn't love a good slice of Flan after a long, hot day of diving. :) Afterwards, I was exhausted so, I convinced Phil to watch Finding Nemo and I lasted 2.5 seconds before the snoring started. Work up at 4 and watched it myself. :)

But, on with today. I couldn't be happier. We started the day with a dawn dive on the Hilma Hooker. It was amazing. The cup coral was just closing. The sun coming up over it was simply amazing. The best part was looking up the slope from 80ft and seeing the hundreds....yes....hundreds of fish doing their morning thing. Just WOW!

After another fabu breakfast at Golden Reef, we took the Dive with the Naturalist class at Bonaire Dive and Adventure. He was so thorough and detailed, we certainly got our monies worth. The best part was seeing our first frogfish. It was a baby and so tiny but, yup ,a frog fish. Now I just need to find a sea horse and my heart will sing just a little louder. lol We've been asking around so, the hunt is on. Pembina from Scubaboard and candita2171 from Scubatoys both joined us for the class and it was a lot more fun that way. Was great that we all got something from it. Especially as we are sharing some of our dives this week. We can test each other on what we learned. Or not. :)

After a quick bite to eat, we all met up at our place at Golden Reef and headed up North to do Oil Slick. It was everything we had heard. Pretty devastating the first 40 ft but, pretty darn good still after that. Had a very relaxed dive, no issues getting out even with the missing rung on the ladder. We saw what the Naturalist calls a "Raiding Party" (a shoal of fish raiding all of the damsel fish's premium algae)
And we found a lettuce leaf. I don't remember what it is ....nudi? But, its cool.

Phil and I then drove up to Witch's Hut and took a look thru to contemplate going in. By the time we were almost kitted up, the sun was too low for my taste and we didn't have any lights so....bailed for another day.

Last but, not least...finished up with a Night dive at Capt'n Don's with Pembina and her husband.
Freak'n fantastic!! Lobsters, Huge Tarpin following our lights, porcupine fish, pretty big grouper, a beautiful perfect purple anenome, and an absolute stunning wall. Was a great way to end the night.

On the best note ever, a friend is loaning me a camera for the rest of the week. In exchange for Pics. :) I think I can handle that. So, after tomorrow, Pics!! YAY!!!

The plan now is to eat some chocolate, pass out, and get up around 6am for a dawn dive at Capt'n Don's. This time we're going South.

What a perfect day!!

First of all, last night we had Gibi's famous Sunday BBQ and it was fabulous!! Tons of cool people... Pembina and her lovely husband came ...Liz the owner was here to entertain....and lots of other divers with their crazy dive stories. Who doesn't love a good slice of Flan after a long, hot day of diving. :) Afterwards, I was exhausted so, I convinced Phil to watch Finding Nemo and I lasted 2.5 seconds before the snoring started. Work up at 4 and watched it myself. :)

But, on with today. I couldn't be happier. We started the day with a dawn dive on the Hilma Hooker. It was amazing. The cup coral was just closing. The sun coming up over it was simply amazing. The best part was looking up the slope from 80ft and seeing the hundreds....yes....hundreds of fish doing their morning thing. Just WOW!

After another fabu breakfast at Golden Reef, we took the Dive with the Naturalist class at Bonaire Dive and Adventure. He was so thorough and detailed, we certainly got our monies worth. The best part was seeing our first frogfish. It was a baby and so tiny but, yup ,a frog fish. Now I just need to find a sea horse and my heart will sing just a little louder. lol We've been asking around so, the hunt is on. Pembina from Scubaboard and candita2171 from Scubatoys both joined us for the class and it was a lot more fun that way. Was great that we all got something from it. Especially as we are sharing some of our dives this week. We can test each other on what we learned. Or not. :)

After a quick bite to eat, we all met up at our place at Golden Reef and headed up North to do Oil Slick. It was everything we had heard. Pretty devastating the first 40 ft but, pretty darn good still after that. Had a very relaxed dive, no issues getting out even with the missing rung on the ladder. We saw what the Naturalist calls a "Raiding Party" (a shoal of fish raiding all of the damsel fish's premium algae)
And we found a lettuce leaf. I don't remember what it is ....nudi? But, its cool.

Phil and I then drove up to Witch's Hut and took a look thru to contemplate going in. By the time we were almost kitted up, the sun was too low for my taste and we didn't have any lights so....bailed for another day.

Last but, not least...finished up with a Night dive at Capt'n Don's with Pembina and her husband.
Freak'n fantastic!! Lobsters, Huge Tarpin following our lights, porcupine fish, pretty big grouper, a beautiful perfect purple anenome, and an absolute stunning wall. Was a great way to end the night.

On the best note ever, a friend is loaning me a camera for the rest of the week. In exchange for Pics. :) I think I can handle that. So, after tomorrow, Pics!! YAY!!!

The plan now is to eat some chocolate, pass out, and get up around 6am for a dawn dive at Capt'n Don's. This time we're going South.

ummm how many dives was that 3 or 4???? omg no wonder you are tired!

sure enjoying the reports... :hugs:

It's great to hear that Jerry is still doing a good class! We did our UW Naturalist specialty with him and it was one of the best specialties we've had. 2 mornings with him really made a huge difference in our fish spotting and ID skills.

I've heard there's an orange seahorse at Windsock, and one at about 30' at Eighteenth Palm. The dive shop at the Plaza might be able to tell you more specifically where to look. I've also heard there's one at Petrie's Pillar if you want to get on a boat.

Not a nudi, a slug. So officially a "Lettuce Sea Slug" (Elysia crispata)

Keep the reports coming.......I think many of us are living vicariously through you! :)

ummm how many dives was that 3 or 4???? omg no wonder you are tired!

sure enjoying the reports... :hugs:

4 yesterday. :D

I'm glad you are enjoying them because, soon we'll be back to living thru you every night. :rofl3:

It's great to hear that Jerry is still doing a good class! We did our UW Naturalist specialty with him and it was one of the best specialties we've had. 2 mornings with him really made a huge difference in our fish spotting and ID skills.

I've heard there's an orange seahorse at Windsock, and one at about 30' at Eighteenth Palm. The dive shop at the Plaza might be able to tell you more specifically where to look. I've also heard there's one at Petrie's Pillar if you want to get on a boat.

Not a nudi, a slug. So officially a "Lettuce Sea Slug" (Elysia crispata)

Keep the reports coming.......I think many of us are living vicariously through you! :)

Cool. Thanx for the heads up on the slug.

And the seahorse's. We were just talking about it and Gibi just told us there are 2 at windsock. One yellow and one orange. Seems like it's meant to be so, that's where we are headed next.

This morning was amazing!!!

Got up at 6:30am and headed out to Buddy's. Actually, we first went to Capt'n Dons but, they have all those crazy rules for checking in and you have to pay $5. The dive shop wasn't open and we decided it wasn't worth the hassle when we got out. I gave our C-cards to the front desk guy but, had second thoughts later so, we just headed to Buddy's. Its really the same reef, just from a different direction.

Anyhoo, it was just magical. I love the early morning dives!! There is nothing like starting your morning with 1000's of fishies. We went North to the wreck and back. Again, I love that there is no time limits.....just hang out and relax the whole dive. On the wreck, I stopped counting the brain coral at 50. On the way back, I had a moment with the Angels. :) There was a sponge with 2 French Angel's on it. So, sat and watched them eat for awhile. Next, a juvie French Angel was circling the bottom. Then, a third French Angel came to eat. Then, 1 of them had enough and swam past me on the right. I was about 4-6 ft away from the sponge. Right after he swam past me, a Queen Angel passed him and headed for the sponge. So, 2 Adult French Angels, 1 Juvie French, and 1 Queen. I thought to myself, this can't get any better. Oh, but it did!~~ A Cowfish (my favorite fish in the whole world) swam up and joined in the fun! They all hung out for about 5 min and then, all went their separate ways.

Chased a gigantic Puffer and spent some time in the shallows with one of those flounders with the blue circles on it.

Got out and realized breakfast was almost over so, dropped our kit in the back and raced back in full wetsuits!! Gibi was patiently waiting to hook us up with our breakfast as he knew we were on a morning dive. How cool is that!!??
I don't think you would get that kind of service at the big resorts here.

So, the plan is to take care of a few odds and ends like the camera and hopefully getting on the salt pier dive tomorrow night with Pembina. Will go to Windsock before noon. And then, after lunch, head up North for the afternoon. Tonite is the UV night dive so, will be sure to come back with the details of that!! We're also going to try out Klein Bonaire tomorrow morning.

Happy Diving!!

Great reporting on your dive adventures. Your body is going to be in shock when you hit Gilboa next month.

You and Phil be safe an enjoy the rest of your trip.

I am so living through you right now. It is great to read that you are having a great time. Bummer about the camera but fabulous that you have someone else's that you can borrow.

Thank you so much for giving us the daily replay while on your vacation. You could be doing other things and personally I am grateful that you are willing to keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom