Tiger Sharks and Hammerheads with Emerald Charters in Jupiter, FL 04.05.14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murfdizzle21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Went out on Saturday April 05, 2014 with Randy Jordan and Emerald Charters in search of Tiger and Hammerhead sharks, we were not disappointed. We had three tigers, two at once, and 3 or 4 hammerheads. We did three dives at the same spot, why leave? All footage shot by Mickey Smith and Cameron Nimmo with GoPro cameras. Watch in Hd, Thanks for watching.

[video=youtube;7IIo5NtM9y4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IIo5NtM9y4[/video]

Murfdizzle: a few questions and comments.....

1) thanks for posting: I enjoy the videos you share though I still think RJ is a bit crazy!

2) that looked like the north side of the Zion train (Bonnaire)?

3) was someone actually hunting: I saw a lift bag with what looked like a couple of fish?

4) the Hammerheads looked like they were far more shy than the Tiger sharks. Is that typical or did the presence of the Tigers chase off the Hammerheads?

5) did any Goliaths try to swoop in for a snack? I've seem videos from the Bahamas (I think) of brave Goliaths that try to get in on the action on shark feeding dives.

Thanks

Loved the vid, Murfdizzle21 and I'm jealous, too! Can you tell me what the water temp was and about what depth you were at? We did shark dives with Randy last August and really enjoyed them. We'll be back in FL in May and will most likely dive a couple times with Randy. Trying to decide which wetsuit to pack. Thanks!

Loved the vid, Murfdizzle21 and I'm jealous, too! Can you tell me what the water temp was and about what depth you were at? We did shark dives with Randy last August and really enjoyed them. We'll be back in FL in May and will most likely dive a couple times with Randy. Trying to decide which wetsuit to pack. Thanks!
This site is 90', water temp on that day was 73 degrees at the bottom. I was diving near that site but not right on it.

wspalding.......Did you see any of them??---being near but not on it???....tia......And, what's the largest you see there, those looked a little 'small'ish'---ie the TSs.........

Last edited:
MotherBLEEP​ing hell ... jealous!

hahaha, it was epic. We had the big tiger (9 feet or so) the whole first dive, with a huge hammer (about 15 feet in length, no video of it, would not come close enough, but made the tiger look small) second dive we had the same tiger, and a smaller one which randy had cut a piece of packaging rope off of, they both ate from randy together. The third dive we had 3 or 4 hammers circling, not getting as close as the tigers and taking bait off the sand, not out of randy's hand, we also had a third tiger on the third dive at the safety stop, even smaller than the other two, maybe 6 feet long.

Murfdizzle: a few questions and comments.....

1) thanks for posting: I enjoy the videos you share though I still think RJ is a bit crazy!

2) that looked like the north side of the Zion train (Bonnaire)?

3) was someone actually hunting: I saw a lift bag with what looked like a couple of fish?

4) the Hammerheads looked like they were far more shy than the Tiger sharks. Is that typical or did the presence of the Tigers chase off the Hammerheads?

5) did any Goliaths try to swoop in for a snack? I've seem videos from the Bahamas (I think) of brave Goliaths that try to get in on the action on shark feeding dives.

Thanks

Yes this was at the stern of the Bonaire, the sand right there at the end presents a very nice runway for the sharks and the bait/scent when the current is ripping north. People were spearing, we shot some jacks for extra bait, a few barracudas and we even sent up a couple muttons (which did make it on the boat). The hammers are definitely more shy than the tigers. The tigers will make a few passes at first, then come right up to randy for the food, the hammers stay out in the distance and only come within 10 feet of us. The hammers will really only eat bait in the sand, not out of Randy's hand and yes we do have to chase off the Goliath Groupers (only when the sharks aren't around), they mosey on in and try to get some food too.

This was at 90 feet deep in the sand, and it was about 74-75 degrees on the bottom.

wspalding.......Did you see any of them??---being near but not on it???....tia......And, what's the largest you see there, those looked a little 'small'ish'---ie the TSs.........
I didn't see the tigers or the hammerheads, but one of the divers on our charter (Narcosis) saw a tiger. We saw a couple of lemon sharks that made a close encounter, but since we had no food they didn't hang around. We dropped some spearos on the reef, they had several lemons on them their whole dive. The largest sharks I'm used to seeing are the reef sharks, and even at "only" 9 feet, these tigers dwarf what I am used to seeing.

How much of the rope did Randy manage to get off that smaller tiger shark? I saw the clip from April 1st where he got at least some of it, but it looks like there might have still been some trailing from her left pec.

---------- Post added April 8th, 2014 at 06:16 PM ----------

Another question to add - did you happen to notice any change in belly size as they ate? The 9-foot female is kind of pudgy in all that footage (and in the footage from March 23rd); could she have a litter of kittens onboard or is she just a glutton? From what I've looked up size at maturity for tigers is 2.5-3.5 meters, which would put her in the right range. The scarred one on the other hand looks normal in most of the video but there are some bits where you can see her bulging a little.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom