• Never, I'd rather stay on the boat.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Rarely, unless I can't avoid it

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • The more the merrier, I'm a gregarious fish

Votes: 34 58.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud

Contributor
Reaction score
I dove a few weeks ago with an SSI operation. Threesomes were a big No-No unless one of the divers was a DM. This seems to make some sense to me since the buddy system is meant for 2 divers to help each other. To my knowledge, PADI doesn't seem to have any rule about it.

What's your take?

I have dove in teams of two, three and four. In regular open water, even number of divers split into teams of two buddies and the whole group tries to stay together, but the buddy teams ALWAY stay together.

Odd number of divers, 3 for example, one diver is designated as team leader and the other two divers form a buddy team who are responsible for following him. The leader checks back often with one or the other of the followers

Should the leader have a problem, two other divers are there to assist. If one of the followers has a problem, their buddy signals to the leader, then assists them. Should the leader miss the signal, one of his frequent backchecks should alert him to any problems instantly.

So far, this system has worked very well for us.

you cant beat a few extra regs for those out of air situations

id say the more the merrier

I put more the merrier, but I am probably inbetween that and rarely. I prefer to only dive with one buddy, but there are four of us (myself, my wife, and two daughters). If one can't make it the other three still want to dive. So far am have always been with the group when there has been three. I find that it works best If the other two stay pretty much side by side and I follow. But it can definitely be a lot more work. Than again, I have dove with someone I was paired up with on a charter boat. He was following and would decide to go off on his own without letting me know. I kept checking back and we still got separated three times on one dive. I would pick diving with a group of three from my family over that experience any day.

S

I think that it's ok depending on conditions and that everyone is fully aware of the extra responsibility. Stick together and dive as a group. Its easier to keep track of your buddy when there's only one of them so you have to stay conscious of the fact that you have 2 people to look out for. It also depends on the situation and diving conditions that could complicate a dive. The chance of 2 people in an ooa situation is slim but I don't know of I've dive with 3 people in a strong current. The potential exists for some tough decisons if something went wrong.

As long as we communicate well on land & agree that the goal is to stay together, I really enjoy this. We have even changed leaders underwwater when the assigned person got bored of it.

I use the same systems for my wreck diving as Cave Diver. One leader in a trio. Each diver takes up a predetermined position. Lights and frequent checks are used to maintain contact.

Three people provides additional redundancy. Besides, we enjoy diving together.

Well, if the tech divers are OK with it, I guess it's safe enough as long as the dive is properly planned and communication in the team is flawless. Pretty much the same as for a 2 buddy dive...

There are a whole lot of variables not accounted for here. Think about the divers' experience, visibility, location, blah, blah, blah, but in general, I vote for the more the merrier.

I don't dive in 3s if I can help it as I think it's basically not such a good idea .. .. but if I do, the only way I will do it is one leader with buddy pair following. If it's not done that way I won't do it at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom