Threat to Belize reef - Potential oil drilling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True jlevine, very true. And Belize has elections coming up soon IIRC. Moratorium could change shortly thereafter but for now Belizeans are relieved, as am I.

..... but for now Belizeans are relieved,

Some of them, anyway. Others? Kinda' p'od. Don't fret, truth shall prevail. And money will overcome all. (cubic metric dollars)

....as am I.

You're just on that Canukistan :canada: Oil-Shale-Fricking proctectionist bandwagon. (And thanks to to your lawmakers in the National Igloo for that extra juice, I like my toaster to heat-up at my finger's touch down here in the ever-so-eco-friendly Murica)

Best way to protect the Blue Hole is to dump concrete in it. Tie a 50# bag of Sakrete to every diver who wants their logbook stamped with "130fsw". Can I get an amen, here?

How'm I gonna fly in a 777 to Belice, get on a liveaboard, and chug out to the BluHo while compressing air to 3200 psi without an abundant supply of fossil fuels? Drill baby drill. Like Sgt. Preston said, "Kill it, eat it, wear it".

Makes you wonder :hm: why do those cruise ships always stop in Belice? Could it be the fuel prices?

Could it be? (it can't be the "Zoo")

There's more to this eco goch than "Flipper".

/attempt at humor

Last edited:
Agreed. There are many actors at work in this drama.

Drilling would be a huge mistake in any case, from an economic investment point of view.

Oil reserves are going to enormously devalued as the world comes to realize we must leave it in the ground, if the planet is to remain habitable.

Right.

It is a nice thing as Doc suggested to be able to leave North America, get on a jet, and be diving in Indonesia or Fiji or the Galapagos or the Maldives the next day. But there is a price. Having been in the consulting/engineering biz far too long, I have read a few reports on the "end of oil." There are a lot of forecasts, most probably gazes in crystal balls. I would not preach doom and gloom but oil is a finite commodity. Which generation will actually see the "end of oil" is anyone's guess, but it will happen. Environmentally, the oil sands in Canada are a sad situation as it takes about 10 barrels of water (as in the stuff we drink and need to live) to process a barrel of oil. The land damage is another story. Mines also leave a trail of waste and the damage done to mountains and streams from coal mining is the tip of the iceberg. Shell will be headed to the Arctic soon to do what they do best in those pristine waters. I remember my first dive in Thailand and passing an undersea dredge spewing waste into the ocean, a brown cloud in the crystal blue waters that almost made the DM's cry. Reefs were simply being smothered by silt. I have seen one successful protest that stopped sea bed manganese mining in Hawaii but I imagine money will prevail there someday too. There was civilization long before big oil and 747's and I imaging there will be civilization long after. It may just be a long sail boat trip to our favorite dive destinations.... ; > )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom