Thread pulling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, if the whole thread got removed or a good portion was split off, it will probably show up exactly where NWGratefulDiver said... he is not misleading anybody.

There are threads that have been pulled completely from the board for various reasons, but that hasn't happened in a LONG while. 9 months or better from my memory.

However, the newest iteration of v-Bulletin allows us to do a "soft" delete of a post. It's still right there, but only mods can see it's existance. We may do this for one or two posts in a thread, but it takes more time than a split if there are more than that. Very few have the authority on this board to "hard delete" a post. Only two of us have that authority in every single forum (like this one).

As for the use of words... calling someone a puritan, is usually condescending, unless of course, you are a puritan. :D It usually means that you are "too" good and have lost touch with reality. The same goes for calling someone a "Boy Scout". Since the one who posted that hails from England, I have no idea if the same stigmas apply and will more than willingly give them the benefit of the doubt. Of course being a Scout Leader, I have no qualms as to WHY someone would call me either... I'm just glad that it stands out!

We have had people accuse us of deleting innocent threads only to find that they posted it on another board! While we are the BIGGEST Scuba related Board on the net, we don't pretend to the only one. :D

Also, the change of a person's name or their account status may make finding a thread by them more difficult. Contrary to some beliefs, we don't have any moderators BENT on thought control, or post domination! :D They are just doing their best trying to make www.ScubaBoard.com a better place. My hood is off to them!

NWGratefulDiver:
No Walter ... I don't "know it".

Things have changed a bit since you were a moderator ... and my statement is accurate.

If you don't wish to discuss it publicly, feel free to PM me with whatever info you have that I'm not privy to.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

"The Dead Thread's Society"....you guys could make a movie. :wink:

Jim

GoBlue!:
"The Dead Thread's Society"....you guys could make a movie. :wink:

Jim

Not interested, Jim ...

FWIW - most of the mods try really hard to keep our moderating to a minimum, and let you kids play. Sometimes things get a little rowdy and we have to get involved to keep the board reasonably civil. When that happens, the moderator who decides to remove a thread sends a PM to the thread originator, explaining what is happening and why. The thread then goes into a folder where only the moderators can see it, and we discuss what to do with it.

That's a lot of work. And not a whole lot of fun. Nothing just "disappears" ... there's always a record of where a thread went, and who put it there.

Too many of y'all forget that we're here for the same reasons you are ... to socialize and interact with our fellow divers. I can't think of a single moderator who takes pleasure in censoring a fellow poster.

Y'all are welcome to complain all you want ... that's the purpose of this forum, after all. I just think it's reasonable to expect that you base your complaints somewhat on reality. In this case, I don't see it happening.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Uncle Pug:
Sometimes however... in the midst of the clean up process a moderator's dog gets hit on the road in front of their house and they have to go scrape it off the pavement, comfort their kids, bury the dog and then take the family to the dog pound to get another one. By the time they get back they have forgotton all about cleaning up the thread or maybe they just don't care anymore.

There.... does that answer your question? :D

Sorry 'bout your dog man.

Regards

plus he was giving an example, not saying anything like that actually happened.

Santa:
Sorry 'bout your dog man.
New virtual mutt ~ Lilly
Lilly.jpg

scubafool:
Are too!!

Anyway, whatever led you to this thread, santa?

Oh, and that is one cute looking dog. Looks a lot like a dog my mother has.
man, I gotta read s l o w e r.
I thought you wrote:
Oh, and that is one cute looking dog. Looks a lot like the dog my mother is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom