Thoughts on the Garmin Inreach Messenger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you believe it is not dive-friendly? The case you can get from Garmin works great for underwater, or you could get a DRYFOB or a Light Monkey Dry Canister if you prefer.
The first gen InReach is larger and not waterproof. I am sure i could find a dive canister for it but the Nautilus is a sfficient option for the kinds of diving I do without an ongoing subscription.

Does anyone have experience with the data subscription? It shows monthly available but also shows an activation fee. Just curious how that works. Once activated then just buy a month when needed...? Can the levels be changed monthly? For instance, just hiking and canoeing, then basic is sufficient but if out of country with limited cell coverage, then the two way text would be great. If fully al a cart allowing mix and match as needed, that would be an excellent feature.

Does anyone have experience with the data subscription? It shows monthly available but also shows an activation fee. Just curious how that works. Once activated then just buy a month when needed...? Can the levels be changed monthly? For instance, just hiking and canoeing, then basic is sufficient but if out of country with limited cell coverage, then the two way text would be great. If fully al a cart allowing mix and match as needed, that would be an excellent feature.

Yes activation fee is for a 12 month period and then whatever plan you add is month to month and can be changed.

Yes it's $34.95 a year for the Freedom Plan and then $14.95 a month and up (depending on the bundle of messages) when you need it. If you go over the monthly allotment, you pay a la carte per message.

Garmin In Reach Messenger at 2.5” x 0.9” (63.5mm x 22.86mm) fits comfortably in the DRYFOB-XL. Just wanted to confirm.
Thanks for mentioning the DRYFOB :)
I suppose you are the manufacturer? Any plans for a rectangular DRYFOB with a flat low profile? Something that can be strapped to a harness or stuffed into a diving shorts side pocket more easily and wont bulge out as much?

I suppose you are the manufacturer? Any plans for a rectangular DRYFOB with a flat low profile? Something that can be strapped to a harness or stuffed into a diving shorts side pocket more easily and wont bulge out as much?
Hey @Pearlman thanks for the question and sorry for the late reply.

All our DRYFOB models follow the same design using a cylindrical shape. We don’t currently have any plans for any other shapes, just varying sizes and a soon to be released length extender. This is a design we’ve had a third party lab certify to depth and one we’re confident in based on testing and some years of use

The Nautilus has a clip down lid on a gasket. The inreach case follows a similar design with two clips. The GoPro case has another clip-like locking mechanism. These are all popular and proven solutions too so no doubt such a thing can be done in a larger size. My wife (the DRYFOB boss) tells me that I have too many projects that I’m tinkering with already so realistically I would not suggest you wait on us for such a solution.

We do have many users that attach a couple of bungees with hose clamps to allow for attachment to an arm or a belt. There are some attachment tips and ideas on our site if you’d like to check them out, many of these would apply to any canister or case you might choose to use….

Thanks again

Any plans for a rectangular DRYFOB with a flat low profile?
Such a shape does not withstand the pressures at depth nearly as well as a cylindrical shape, all other things (size, weight, material, etc) being the same.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Garmin makes a low-profile dive-rated case for the Inreach Mini if you need it.

Thank you for your replies - I just saw a product video and it is actually smaller than I realised. Shouldn’t be a problem to stow away on a BP/W or BCD despite the round shape I guess…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom