Thoughts on the Garmin Inreach Messenger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't like the thought of a metal case, especially one with that much extra space. I've heard the mini transmits through the plastic case, but wonder if it could through the metal case. Yes, I know you can't reach the buttons through either case, BUT you can have it send tracking points automatically.

My question is, does the Messenger fit inside the Mini2 dive case. A quick check of dimensions suggests it might.

i kind of doubt it. the mini2 case fits the device like a glove.

the mini2 case is good to 100m.

ive been carrying my inreach mini with me on dives for couple years now- i'm glad i got it

i kind of doubt it. the mini2 case fits the device like a glove.

the mini2 case is good to 100m.

ive been carrying my inreach mini with me on dives for couple years now- i'm glad i got it
I'm sure the mini fits the case precisely. What I'm trying to find out is if the actual dimensions of the mini are smaller in any direction than the messenger.

The Messenger is 62mm wide, 78mm tall, and 22mm thick.

I already have a Nautilus and a Messenger. I'm told the Messenger has a better antenna, faster sending/receive, and longer battery life than the mini. It would be really nice if Garmin made a dive case for the Messenger - but since they don't yet I'm trying to find something that works.

A camera style case that let you work the buttons without opening the dive case would be ideal. Yes, I'm dreaming.

The Messenger is 62mm wide, 78mm tall, and 22mm thick.

I already have a Nautilus and a Messenger. I'm told the Messenger has a better antenna, faster sending/receive, and longer battery life than the mini. It would be really nice if Garmin made a dive case for the Messenger - but since they don't yet I'm trying to find something that works.

A camera style case that let you work the buttons without opening the dive case would be ideal. Yes, I'm dreaming.

My plan is to dive test my OLD Otterbox 1000 to see if doesn't leak. Since Otterbox no longer seems to make plain cases (just phone specific ones) I can't get info from them. If I can find a reliable dive case I'll start taking the Messenger with me and set it for location sending every hour or so. That way, as long as I get to the surface, it doesn't require any action on my part to upload my location. Not as good as sending an SOS, but if someone is looking my hourly location should show.

If you have a Garmin dive computer paired to the inReach Mini 2 device then you can control it at the surface using Bluetooth without opening the dive case.

I use my mini all the time, in and out of the water.

If you have a Garmin dive computer paired to the inReach Mini 2 device then you can control it at the surface using Bluetooth without opening the dive case.
Apparently that also works with the Messenger, but in any event I don't have a Garmin dive computer. I like a much bigger screen and my Mares Quads fit the bill nicely.

The idea is to buy as few new devices as possible.

I can't speak to the diveability of the devices but i used an InReach for about 5 years while working in South America with no cell service. The device allowed me to keep in contact with family while i was there. Coms weren't instant like they are with text messaging but they were quick enough for conversation.

Coverage was good most of the time. If the signal got bad I'd just wait a few minutes and i guess it would acquire new satellites as they came into view.

I never had to use the distress button so not sure how that worked.

If i were traveling overseas I would definitely take it with me again.

I would suggest buying the unlimited monthly plan by the month and make sure you cancel when you get home. Sometimes they have an auto renew things in there when you sign up.

I have also thought about getting these for other family when hurricane season rolls around. When all all signal is down you have no way to contact each other but with these you would have basic coms. Just Bluetooth to your phone and go.
I have an old InReach (first gen) so not dive friendly but definitely worth taking when you are in remote locations. I have a Freedom plan so I activate it only when I go on a trip ($15/month) and mostly send free pre-set messages to family (good morning/good night/all's well etc.) but have the option to pay for custom messages if needed. I could do Facebook updates if I were into that. Newer models can send photos I think.

In water, I have a Nautilus and if I go missing, I assume someone (my host vessel at least) will be looking for me within an hour and a VHF signal with my coordinates will be very helpful to them. I hope I don't learn otherwise one day :)

I have an old InReach (first gen) so not dive friendly
Why do you believe it is not dive-friendly? The case you can get from Garmin works great for underwater, or you could get a DRYFOB or a Light Monkey Dry Canister if you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom