Thoughts on the future of Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read another article today in which they were calling for closing all tourist sites, including Sharm, because Islam does not allow for tourism or something. This one is about the dress code for tourist. Does not look good for the future of tourism.

Jim

Sunbathing in Alexandria may soon be a thing of the past, at least if some Egyptian Islamist politicians have their way.

Egypt's tourism industry has suffered a severe blow since the outburst of anti-regime demonstrations in January. But that did not stop the Freedom and Justice Party, the political wing of the Muslim Brotherhood, from demanding stricter regulations over what tourists can do and wear while visiting the country. The party is urging officials to ban skimpy swimwear and the consumption of alcohol on Egyptian streets.

RELATED:
Gulf countries tighten entry rules
Egyptian Copts demand right to divorce

"Beach tourism must take the values and norms of our society into account," Muhammad Saad Al-Katatny, secretary-general of Freedom and Justice, told Egyptian tourism officials on Monday. "We must place regulations on tourists wishing to visit Egypt, which we will announce in advance."

The call for new strictures on tourists comes as Egypt debates the role of Islam in the post-Mubarak era. Freedom and Justice is competing in elections scheduled for this autumn for parliament and opinion polls show a majority of Egyptians favor a greater use of Islamic law and mores. But a vocal minority worries that Egypt risks becoming an Islamic republic.

"This is how things began in Iran," Hani Henry, a psychology professor at the American University in Cairo, told The Media Line. "The moderate youth wanted to implement changes, but the Mullah's hijacked the revolution. The same thing is now happening here in Egypt with the Muslim Brotherhood. It makes me sick to my stomach."

Along with Suez Canal tolls and energy exports, tourism is a major source of foreign exchange for Egypt. But with protests, strikes, and continued violence in the cities and Sinai Peninsula months after President Husni Mubarak was forced to step down, foreigners have hesitated to visit the country, which offers some of the world’s most spectacular antiquities as well as beaches and scuba diving.

Finance Minister Hazem Al-Beblawi told the Reuters news agency earlier this month that revenue from tourism would likely total $10 billion in the financial year that started on July 1, compared with $11.6 billion in 2009/10.

Al-Katatny told Al-Masry Al-Youm daily that his party had already set up a subcommittee to investigate the issue of incoming tourism to Egypt and planned to amend legislation following the upcoming parliamentary elections.

"Some slight changes will be made in public beaches, to make the situation better than it was before," Ali Khafagy, youth director of Freedom and Justice in Giza, told The Media Line. "Bathing suits and mixing on the beach are things that go against our tradition. It's not just a matter of religion. When I go to the beach I don't want to see nudity."

He said modest bathing gear or separate beaches for men and women are possible alternatives to the current situation.

Khafagy stressed that tourists would be free to do as they please in specially designated areas, adding that his party supported incoming tourism to the country. But that did not satisfy the heads of Egypt's tourism industry, who met with the party’s secretary-general Al-Katatny for a heated debate on Monday.

"Without alcohol and bathing suits, no tourists will come and we will loose $13 billion a year," Hussam A-Shaer, head of the tourist company association, told Al-Masry al-Youm.

But bathing suits are not the only worry of Egypt’s Islamists. Abd Al-Munim A-Shahhat, a spokesman for the Salafi group Dawa, has said that Egypt's world-renowned pharaonic archeology – its pyramids, Sphinx and other monuments covered with un-Islamic imagery – should also be hidden from the public eye.

"The pharaonic culture is a rotten culture," A-Shahhat told the London-based Arabic daily A-Sharq Al-Awsat on Wednesday, saying the faces of ancient statues "should be covered with wax, since they are religiously forbidden." He likened the Egyptian relics to the idols which circled the walls of Mecca in pre-Islamic times.

The Islamist challenges to the tourism industry in post-revolutionary Egypt have led to the establishment of the Coalition to Support Tourism, whose members also met with Al-Katatny on Monday. The coalition, which includes a broad array of travel industry organizations and figures, argued that the real problem isn’t modesty but the absence of any strategy on the part of Egypt's new parties to protect the country's faltering tourism industry.

"Some parties want to ban tourism, or allow it while banning alcohol, certain foods and certain clothes. [A couple] renting a room will require documents proving they are married," wrote the coalition administrator on the group's Facebook page. "These proposals don’t bode well, as many of you know."

Henry of the American University said two classes of beaches already exist in Egypt, with modestly dressed, generally poor Egyptians occupying some and foreign tourists occupying others, mostly in the resorts of the Sinai Peninsula. He said he considered imposition of sharia law in Egypt "an act of aggression" that he would not tolerate.

Islamists have never been enamored of foreign tourism and before they were crushed by the Mubarak regime foreign visitors were often targeted for killings. Close to 60 Western tourists were killed by Islamist terrorists in the southern city of Luxor in 1997. Tourists were also attacked in bombings in the Sinai resorts of Taba, Sharm Al-Sheikh and Dahab in 2004, 2005 and 2006. 

But Al-Katatny said that the Muslim Brotherhood regards Egypt's archeology as belonging to all of humanity, and should therefore be safeguarded.

"This heritage belongs to everyone, and one can't simply remove something he doesn't like," he told Al-Ahram daily.  
Download JPost's iPhone application
Subscribe to our Newsletter to receive news updates directly to your email

Saw that one also with this being my favorite quote:

Q: "Are you against blowing up churches?"
Shehato: "Yes and no. The Christian is free to worship his god in his church, but if the Christians make problems for the Muslims, I will exterminate them. I am guided by the shari'a, and it stipulates that they must pay the jizya tax while in a state of humiliation..."

"state of humiliation" I love it.

I hope these fanatics don't blow up the Pyramids, ala the Taliban. Egypt you are heading for a horror show and will be remembering the good old days of Murburak.

My favorite is that one:

"There are Muslims and there are infidels. We will have ambassadors in every country. We want to call all other countries to join Islam, and that will be the task of the ambassadors. If [the countries] refuse, there will be war."

I know that this lunatic is not representative of Egypt, not even for a large number of egyptians - but that these crazies can now publically poison the minds of (uneducated) egyptians worries me a lot. Within the context of the latent anti-foreigner sentiment lately it might just be the spark that lights a fire!

Imagine the outcry in the islamic world if some member of a western organization would voice his opinion in a western newspaper that all muslims should convert to christianity or be killed. And imagine the consequenses such hateful poison has on the standing of Egypt in the world. What I don´t understand is why these guys are given a platform in an egyptian newspaper to tarnish the worldwide image of Egypt and egyptians. If the western media picks up on such rethoric the result would be desastrous for tourism here.

Freedom of speech comes with responsibilities. Unfortunately not everyone is responsible!

Oh, I think speeches like that one will be responsible for a lot of things. :wink:

This thread is certainly very interesting reading. I'm your average European independent traveller/backpacker diver....I have a flight into Sharm on 4th Oct and plan to spend a few weeks in Egypt, obviously I'm keeping a close eye on the news but if the flight is going and the UK govt don't advise against travel, I'll go. I haven't dove the Red Sea before and I don't want to miss the opportunity to, if the 'worst case' scenario happens (in the opinion of a liberal Westerner) and Egypt becomes effectively off-limits for someone like me.

I hope there are some dive shops still open in October (was planning to go to Dahab), and some people there to staff them!!

At the moment there's a lot of chat but nothing seems to actually be happening. Planned million man protests didn't come to pass and there's a lot of flag waving and very little actual progress.

This may change rapidly, of course, but at the moment I don't see any reason for tour operators to be canceling flights as yet. I think you can tell from my posts that I am not optimistic for the future in terms of staying in Egypt and earning a living,

As of now, I reckon we'll be in business come October - pop in for a beer if you find yourself in Na'ama Bay! :D

Cheers

C.

Well, the reason for tour operators is the reason you see very well in Na'ama bay every day.. Lack of people on the airplanes..
When I went in June I had 2 flights cancelled on me and had to get one out of an airport 2 hours further away to get down there :(

I was told today that the hotel which technically owns my dive centre is looking at 30% occupancy for the next month, in terms of pre-bookings - this from the Guest relations manager. I was also told that the cost of package holidays to Sharm - at least from this tour operator - have become more expensive because the hotels have put their prices up.

As we approach high season, it's normal for holiday prices to increase following the inevitable laws of supply and demand, but this year it strikes me as a particularly daft thing to do on behalf of the hotels. I know one of the main problems is the availability of aircraft which tour operators are continuing to send to different sunny locations, and hence one would expect prices to rise for this reason in itself, but if a hotel is half empty, putting the prices up helps nobody, really.

The twisted logic is "We are not making money. To make more money we must increase prices". Unfortunately, as many Egyptian property owners are finding, putting the rent on apartments up means that you don't earn more money, it means your tenants leave and your property remains empty and you earn no money at all.

Am interested to hear again from prospective holidaymakers as to how Sharm is being promoted this year, and what the prices are like compared to last year. I know somebody earlier (I forget who, sorry), said that Sharm is not being heavily promoted in the traditional Winter Sun package holiday season, and being on the inside I really don't have a perspective as to what is happening on the high street back home.

Sharm has for sure been busier through August; I'm seeing a lot more Italians around which will make some dive centres very happy, our own customer base (German, Swiss, Austrian with a few Brits) is less than last year, but still keeping us rather busy. I've also seen some of the other big centres putting out a few more boats in the morning than they have been over the earlier parts of the summer.

I know this thread disappeared into the realms of politics and religion in the region, myself included, but I think a lot of that is more relevant to the people who actually live and work here, whereas most vistors probably won't notice much difference, apart from the exorbitant prices taxi drivers are charging for 10 minute rides to hotels (The highest reported by one of our guests was 450LE - approximately 45 English pounds or cracking on for 60 Euros...!!).

Be very interested to hear from prospective holidaymakers, including those who are serial repeat visitors to Sharm.

Thanks

C.

Back
Top Bottom