thoughts on purge-valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadian.Diver:
Low pressure inflation hoses aren't necessary either, But I bet you use one!

I started diving before the LP inflators became popular. Now I use one but I still know how to inflate the BC/wing without the LP hose. I also use an SPG, even though the reserve valves that I used "back then" worked just fine.

The LP and SPG are considered improvements that add to diver safety. The purge valve is not a safety device, it's a hole in the mask (or snorkel) that can leak, jam, etc. They are like quick release fin straps :)

Green_Manelishi:
I started diving before the LP inflators became popular. Now I use one but I still know how to inflate the BC/wing without the LP hose. I also use an SPG, even though the reserve valves that I used "back then" worked just fine.

The LP and SPG are considered improvements that add to diver safety. The purge valve is not a safety device, it's a hole in the mask (or snorkel) that can leak, jam, etc. They are like quick release fin straps :)

Well I guess I've been told! I will go home tonight and throw out my purge valve mask thats given me three years of problem free service because you and Soggy don't like them. I sure wouldn't want to become a purge valve failure related death statisic!

Canadian.Diver:
Well I guess I've been told! I will go home tonight and throw out my purge valve mask thats given me three years of problem free service because you and Soggy don't like them. I sure wouldn't want to become a purge valve failure related death statisic!

I already said that I used mine for several years with no problems. The point is that they don't do *anything* except cost more. The purge is a potential failure point, but with a little TLC shouldn't be a big deal since it's pretty much the same type of valve t/flapper valve that is on nearly every second stage made today.

May have come in handy for those chrome facial aquariums worn back in the 60's, but I am not sure what purpose they serve for todays low volume masks. Just one more thing to make a dive turn South IMO.

I personaly like high volume purge valve masks with side windows, my primary masks for the last 15+ years have been ScubaPro Tri-Vents, they are getting harder to find, but still show up in good shape on ebay fairly often. I have tried assorted conventional masks, and usualy have one packed in my gear bag as a spare, I also used them when I was teaching open water students as that is the type masks most students would own. There is just something nice about being able to clear ones mask while in a normal swimming position.

Ike

I think they have pros and cons. I do hate to see a brand new diver get one just because they assume it must be easier to clear the mask and better because it costs more. If you buy one you should at least have a good reason, make sure you're getting some advantage from it and not just disadvantages.

I have a good reason for using them, if you wear a mustache like I do you are likely to get a bit of leakage. Its really no big deal, you get in the habit of clearing a bit more frequently.

I tried my wife's mask that had a purge, she got it because she like the strap and the fit was really good. I have to admit, I liked it too. I found that using that mask I could deal with the leakage hands free whenever I needed to, just a little bit of exhale and its gone.

Now that I think about it, maybe next time I'm in the shop I'll take another look at that mask.

And no, I have no intention of getting rid of the mustache or the beard.

Soggy:
Yeah, but they actually make controlling your BC easier. Purge valves on masks don't make mask clearing any easier. If they make it easier for you, you're definitely doing something wrong.
Actually, I've never had a problem clearing my mask... from day 1 of diving. However, I have a stache as well, and slight leaking is a way of life.

I own two SeaVisions -- one purge, one non-purge. The non-purge is my backup. I've never had an issue with the purge.
The purge does not get in the way of 'pinching.'
The purge has never become a collection point for sand, debris, or any other matter.
The purge has never inhibited equalizing, or created mask squeeze at depth (and I've had it on many deep dives).

While I have no issue manually clearing, the purge is simply easier, and more convenient.

As for failure point, my BC has a similar purge. It's called a dump valve. I've never had a failure on that either, and I while I can purge the BC through the inflator, the dump valve is a convenience, as I've never had to deploy it in an emergency situation.

Bottom line, if you're good with standard clearing, more power to ya. However, if you don't use one (a purge), or if you've used one without incident for years, you're hardly in a position to berate its use by others that find value in it.

BKP:
However, if you don't use one (a purge), or if you've used one without incident for years, you're hardly in a position to berate its use by others that find value in it.

Sure I am. I know exactly how useless they are from experience.

Soggy:
Sure I am. I know exactly how useless they are from experience.
Uh-huh... another "my-way-is-the-only-way" heard from...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom