thoughts on purge-valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe I saw somewhere that someone is making a purge mask with the purge valve off to the side, under the left eye I think. I guess they're trying to get around the difficulty with equalizing.

Thrillhouse:
A few people I know dive with them, but I've also been told they're mostly just a holdover from the 90s and one more thing that can break... Anyone a fan?

A hold over from the 90s? Masks were available with a purge valve long before the 1990s. They weren't necessary then and aren't now.

I've been using masks with purge valves for 5 years and have never had a problem.

If I was buying a new one today I probably wouldn't get the valve. It's so easy to clear a mask (once you're comfortable doing it) it's not really needed.

Green_Manelishi:
A hold over from the 90s? Masks were available with a purge valve long before the 1990s. They weren't necessary then and aren't now.

Low pressure inflation hoses aren't necessary either, But I bet you use one!

Canadian.Diver:
Low pressure inflation hoses aren't necessary either, But I bet you use one!

Yeah, but they actually make controlling your BC easier. Purge valves on masks don't make mask clearing any easier. If they make it easier for you, you're definitely doing something wrong.

socal619:
I believe I saw somewhere that someone is making a purge mask with the purge valve off to the side, under the left eye I think. I guess they're trying to get around the difficulty with equalizing.

I dove that style mask... Did not think it was better than a standard purge style. Personally prefer no purge but as this thread has already demonstrated, to each is own.

socal619:

Thought of "The Jerk" when I read that one.

I started with an Oceanmaster 3 window purge mask. I thought it was a great idea until I used it. It leaked and was difficult to equilize while wearing due to the location of the valve. Masks are so simple to clear without the valve. I feel the purge valve is simply not necessary.

Soggy:
Yeah, but they actually make controlling your BC easier. Purge valves on masks don't make mask clearing any easier. If they make it easier for you, you're definitely doing something wrong.

No hands clearing how could it get any easier? If you read other post with people (myself included) who wear contacts, fine them helpful for not losing there contacts if they fall out on a dive they remain in the mask. The very fact that people buy purge valve masks is proof enough that SOME PEOPLE find them better or more suitable . But of course they must "definitely be doing something wrong".

Canadian.Diver:
No hands clearing how could it get any easier?

I don't need hands to clear with my regular mask. But, if you need hands, do you not normally have one available? I mean, a full flood would indicate that the mask was dislodged, so you would need your hands to readjust the mask anyhow.

If you read other post with people (myself included) who wear contacts, fine them helpful for not losing there contacts if they fall out on a dive they remain in the mask.

I wear contacts. If I were to lose one, I would absolutely not put it back in after it had been sitting in my mask for an hour. You're better off losing it and carrying a set in your save a dive kit. That's a good way to get a really nasty eye infection.

The very fact that people buy purge valve masks is proof enough that SOME PEOPLE find them better or more suitable .

It's proof that PT Barnum had it right... :wink:

<Proud ex-owner of a purge valve mask>

Back
Top Bottom