thoughts on purge-valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO... the fewer 'moving parts' ya' got... the less opportunity for Murphy ta' mess with ya'...

Back in the '60 when they made single pane "hognosed" masks (e.g., USD Pacifica and Swimmaster WideView) the purges were pretty good. Then when the shrunk the purge down to a tiny thing that clogged up all time with sand or whatnot and that was harder to use then just clearing the mask I gave up on them.

I started out using a tusa mask with a purge valve. Although I've never had a problem with it leaking I've found when you go deep there is no way to stop the mask squeeze. You can't equalize so at the end of the dive you have a ring around the face to the point where it hurt my upper lip. I've switched recently since I've been diving more often to Cressi's big eyes. Happier now. I still use the other as a backup.

I had a purge valve mask. Bought it for like $100+ when I did my open water class. I never had a problem with it, but it was big and bulky so I switched to a low volume standard mask (which cost me about $30). I don't have any problems with that one, either.

Purge valve masks are just a marketing gimmick. They don't actually *do* anything except cost a lot of money and look pretty dorky. :)

I have a frameless low volume mask with purge valve which you couldn't tell unless under really close inspection, and haven't had a single issue and never had to clean the purge ever. I wear contacts and have lost one clearing the conventional way. This way if a contact falls out I can clear it without losing my contact. After the dive I take off the mask and it's still in there. Don't buy the bull that it's just to make up for the lack of mask clearing skills, I can clear a mask the conventional way no problem. Sure its just another thing to go wrong , but so is the cruise control and coffee cup holders, heated seats and such in a car , but there still nice features to have and as the same with the mask if it stops working you just do things manually no need to stop your car or end a dive. Like with any mask you may come upon models that leak on you, its trial and error sometimes. Cost 45 bucks ! Wore it to depths of 140ft no leaks. I hope this helps.

I have dove them before. Could not get comfortable with the way I had to reach around the purge to equalize. I could also see it being difficult on cold water dives with 5mm+ gloves.
:monkeydan

Absolutely zero problems in 12 years of using them in all kinds of conditions and depths. If it's luck I'll take it...I have a new non-purge Sea Vision that I can't get to stop leaking, so it is a back-up....YMMV.....

I wear contacts while diving I've been using a purge mask for a few years with no probems at all.

Back
Top Bottom