thoughts on purge-valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrillhouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A few people I know dive with them, but I've also been told they're mostly just a holdover from the 90s and one more thing that can break... Anyone a fan?

i got my first one in the 70s,scubapro,liked it then and still use one today,i dont see what problems people are having with them or if its just another of one of those internet problems,wearing a mustache i sometimes get some seepage,seems easier to me to clear with a purge valve.

Never had a problem with my purge mask. This seems like another non issue.

My wife and I where in Key Largo on a trip and when she decended she couldn't get her mask to quit leaking. So we surfaced from 5 feet and switched masks. I dove with hers 1/2 full of water but, hey the vis was great just kept the water below my eyes. Got back on the boat and found the check (moving) part of the purge valve was gone. She dives a different mask with a purge valve.

I found that when I dive a mask with a purge valve I exhale through my nose more which seems to fog up my mask more. I switched to regular mask.

Hope my ramblings provided some help.

If properly used they are no different than a regular non-purge. ie the clearing technique is a little different. But if you know how to clear well in the first place there really is no need for one. Some purge masks also have a design flaw IMO in that they wont let you pinch easily to equalize. Not an issue for me but we have had people who this has been a big issue with. The valve assembly gets in the way and makes it difficult for gloved fingers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom