Thoughts on Avanti Quattro Power (not Quattro +) fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GregPRoundTheWorld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Does anyone have much experience with these fins in comparison to other fins?

I'm looking for a versatile, powerful fin that travels well and doesn't require boots (have some wetsuit socks, which are fine). Ideally would work with all kick styles, including frog kicks. Fins that could work for freediving, for I might give that a go soon. Something roughly neutrally buoyant. I look after myself physically, so I'm open to stiff fins. Fins less than £150 would be ideal.

On paper, the Quattro Powers look really good — full foot, powerful but not too long, not too heavy, suited to freediving too... but I can't find many reviews on them, and most reviews are confounded by conflicts of interest.

I really, really like the Quattro + fins as all rounders, but the straps are rubbish and I had to wear boots when using them. I'm drawn to diving in strong currents, and I know lots of guides in places I've dived with fierce or random currents (Alor, Maratua, etc) use freediving fins for their extra power. Cressi Gara fins seem very popular among them, but those long blades seem to preclude frog kicks and wouldn't be ideal for wrecks, though they seem to be fine for muck diving due to their buoyancy.

So, does anyone have an informed opinion on the Quattro Power after giving them a fair trial?

Or suggested alternatives?

If anyone chimes in, thanks in advance for your help :)

(Edit: I now realise there's a Fins forum. Sorry, I'm new here and didn't realise — had searched the boards for info about Quattro Power fins, but don't find the navigation here intuitive.)

I have no experience with Quattro Powers and I hate the idea of a full foot fin. IMHO open heel fins offer much more flexibility, but that's just me.
I have Mares Excite Pro open heel fins that tick all them boxes you've mentioned. Relatively short and light (travel), pretty much neutrally buoyant and very powerful. And yes, boots are needed.
Have a look at ScubaPro's modular fin system. Fully exchangeable foot pockets (open heel and full foot) with Seawing or S-Tek blades.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I haven’t tried those Mares fins, I’m curious to.

Definitely keen to try to find a full-foot solution though, if not then maybe some thick wetsuit socks with a smaller size of open heel fins could work well. (I usually use XL fins but might need a smaller size if using socks alone.)

I have not tried the Avanti Quattro full foots. But most of my dives have been in the similar full foot Mares Superchannels. They tick all your boxes and are relatively inexpensive. I've timed them against a bunch of other open heel fins (including Scubapro Go Sports which I use when I have to wear boots) and they are noticeably faster at both moderate and hard exertion levels.

Thank you both 🙏
@happy-diver, I’d already searched the boards and read relevant threads, I just thought more people might have feedback since those prior messages.
@lowwall, sound good, will check those out too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom