Thoughts?: New Dive computer, Sunnto Eon Steel v Mares Icon Black (or other?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In NZ I'm guessing the Eon would come at a frightening cost. Last time I was living there, admittedly around 5 years ago, Suunto, in fact all dive gear was stupid expensive. Hopefully things have changed.

Other? I am anti-bling so I would suggest any used computer on ebay under $200. There are lots of solid work horses to be found.

If I lost my PDC (which is a wristwatch-style with AI), I would buy an Oceanic Atom 3.0 or 3.1 in a heartbeat. That is what I have now and I love it. I change the batteries myself. The AI has been 100% reliable. It was way less expensive than the wristwatch w/AI options you're looking at. I'm 49 and have gauge reader lenses in my masks and I don't have any trouble reading it, even in low viz.

I also have a Petrel 2, but, where I always dive with the Atom, I only dive with the Petrel when I need to. I don't like anything big/bulky on my arms. Thus, I don't think I'd like some of the options you're looking at, for the same reason.

The SeaBear H3 looks really nice, except for the non-user replaceable battery. Regardless, I think I would not buy one of those until they actually fulfill their promise to release AI for it, and see what the pricing on that is.

I was going to make a similar recommendation yesterday, but got sidetracked. Personally, I would avoid the Suunto and Mares RGBM algorithms. With the Oceanic VT4.1 gone, there are less AI choices. The Atom 3.1 can be found with download cable for $670. I've dived the similar, non-AI, Geo2 for more than 4 years and it has been perfect, battery change is a cinch.

In NZ I'm guessing the Eon would come at a frightening cost. Last time I was living there, admittedly around 5 years ago, Suunto, in fact all dive gear was stupid expensive. Hopefully things have changed.

I suspect if you can afford helium for your trimix, you can afford Eon. If you can't then you don't need a trimix-capable PDC anyway. Problem solved. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom